Beersmith Question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Beersmith Question

Post by Keith » Fri May 16, 2014 10:14 am

So I'm looking at purchasing Beersmith. I haven't purchased it yet as my home computer is a POS and will fail any day. My question is if I do decide to get it and take my chances. Are my equipment profiles and recipes stored on the local PC or are they stored on a beersmith database server?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by GuingesRock » Fri May 16, 2014 10:23 am

Stored on your PC. I back mine up to my gmail. I Zipper the folder found in "my document"s and attach it to an email to myself.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by LiverDance » Fri May 16, 2014 10:26 am

Beersmith now has a cloud service so you can save recipes to but not equipment. You could just email it to yourself so you'll have it available there or on google cloud
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 am

Dropbox is a good idea too.

When you buy Beersmith you can legally install it on 2 machines. This issue I have is that when I modify a recipe on one it, of course, doesn't make the change to the other. Does anyone know if there is a merge feature?

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by LiverDance » Fri May 16, 2014 10:29 am

EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:Dropbox is a good idea too.

When you buy Beersmith you can legally install it on 2 machines. This issue I have is that when I modify a recipe on one it, of course, doesn't make the change to the other. Does anyone know if there is a merge feature?
use the cloud, it'll have access from both and save the changes you made.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
Name: Kirsten & Keely
Location: Cambridge

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by redoubt » Fri May 16, 2014 10:43 am

Keith wrote:So I'm looking at purchasing Beersmith. I haven't purchased it yet as my home computer is a POS and will fail any day. My question is if I do decide to get it and take my chances. Are my equipment profiles and recipes stored on the local PC or are they stored on a beersmith database server?
You won't regret buying Beersmith, Keith! It's a bit of a PITA getting your system dialed in, but it's an invaluable tool.

It's still on sale at OBK, too: http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/SearchRe ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cheers2:
Kirsten.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by Keith » Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 am

Yea I may have to bite the bullet lol. As for getting it dialed in, I think it will take a few brews but shouldn't be too bad. I wish I didn't 2nd guess my original calculations on my first brew that I calc'd. added 2 liters and was over volume. :cheers2:

Dave do you have plans to sell beersmith @ Everwood?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by Broob » Fri May 16, 2014 11:32 am

As an alternative, I use Beersmith for iPhone and while it's not a good as the PC version, it does everything I need it to. Under $10 I think.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
Name: Geoff
Location: Clayton Park, NS

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by adams81 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 pm

LiverDance wrote: use the cloud, it'll have access from both and save the changes you made.
+1
I develop my recipes in the cloud so that they can be accessed from both my mobile and PC. Once I'm done taking notes on the process I move it off the cloud and archive it in my PC. Works so nice.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beersmith Question

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri May 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Yep - I use the free cloud service to develop my recipes since I can access on phone, tablet, laptop and home computer.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests