Is my yeast really too old?
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Is my yeast really too old?
So in planning another Bitter and I have a smack pack of Wyeast 1968 London ESB but when I enter the yeast date on the yeast pitch calculators it tells me the viability is 0%. The date is Oct 9 2013. I just activated it and if it swells I am planning on doing a starter. Am I wasting my time? Can I rebuild it?
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
-
saosborne
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: sean osborne
- Location: Fall River
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
if it swells its working. just finished a starter with the same yeast. the bag was too close to the compreseer coils in the fridge and froze. thawed it out and activated it. minimal swell on the bag still decided to do the starter anyway took some time to get working but im currently looking at a nice pile of yeast at the bottom of the flask. cant speak for the health but it was definitely working. (dated from dec/13)
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
That's good to hear. If it swells maybe I'll do a two step starter just in case.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
The viability might be a bit on the low side.
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
I bought a Scottish Ale (1728 I think) at NG on Friday night. Didn't even look at the date until I got home. November 2013. Smacked it Friday night before bed and in the morning absolutely nothing. So I put my Off Kilter 80/- plans in hold and brewed a pale ale with US-05.
NG was nice enough to take the yeast back on Sunday (which they apparently don't normally do) for store credit on the basis that it's past 6 months and they didn't warn me.
What I was told, however, and some Googling backs this up to an extent, is that Wyeast themselves say full activation can take as long as 24 hours for each month old that the yeast is. She said she'll put it aside and expects it to have come to life by this coming Saturday.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NG was nice enough to take the yeast back on Sunday (which they apparently don't normally do) for store credit on the basis that it's past 6 months and they didn't warn me.
What I was told, however, and some Googling backs this up to an extent, is that Wyeast themselves say full activation can take as long as 24 hours for each month old that the yeast is. She said she'll put it aside and expects it to have come to life by this coming Saturday.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
I'd definitely suggest a two step starter. Swelling is a good way to check the viability, and you could also use the first starter as an indication: air lock action and volume of the yeast in the flask (when allowed to stop stirring).
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
It's puffing up now but not as much as usual. I'll wait and throw it into a starte tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll make an education out of it. It's almost an hour and a half for me to get to NG so I'm gonna keep trying to revive this one. Probably two stage. Well three stage if you include the smack pack.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
-
Barr
- Verified User

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:48 am
- Name: Leslie Barr
- Location: Digby NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
Ok so I'm well into second stage of starter and it's looking clumpy. This is Wyeast 1968 Lindon ESB. I swirrled the jug and this is what it looks like. Should I be concerned? Anyone else had this before? Maybe it's normal and I'm just over thinking things now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
Looks like my last 1968 starter.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
Looks like Garrison beer.
http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic. ... ies#p59868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic. ... ies#p59868" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
Beer dropped clear, not like the snowy Garrison 
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Is my yeast really too old?
Yeah that yeast floculates like that, no problems.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests