floaties in fermentation

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
malarcus
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm
Name: Marc Larouche
Location: Dartmouth

floaties in fermentation

Post by malarcus » Wed May 28, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi guys,

I have an ESB that has been in secondary for 3 weeks now. Looking at it a few minutes ago and I see hop seeds (or pieces of grain) going up to the surface then they go down. The cycle repeat itself...

How normal is that? the fermentation temp is 15C and I have not taken the gravity yet.

Any Ideas?

Marc
Fermenting:
King's Red ESB
West Coast IPA

On tap:
Empty

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: floaties in fermentation

Post by amartin » Wed May 28, 2014 4:29 pm

Can you take a picture of it?

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: floaties in fermentation

Post by Woody » Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm

I get them all the time in my beer with no issues.

User avatar
malarcus
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 pm
Name: Marc Larouche
Location: Dartmouth

Re: floaties in fermentation

Post by malarcus » Wed May 28, 2014 6:10 pm

I tried to take a picture but you can't see anything.

I don't mind much the seeds as for the fact they rise to the top and then drop to the bottom.
Fermenting:
King's Red ESB
West Coast IPA

On tap:
Empty

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: floaties in fermentation

Post by GAM » Thu May 29, 2014 8:14 am

They are getting caught on a CO2 bubbel that bursts and drops the seed.

Sandy

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests