Dry Hopping
- eastcoast
- Registered User

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:57 am
- Name: Barry Myatt
- Location: Country Harbour
Dry Hopping
Is there any risk of spoiling my beer by dry hopping? Before adding it to the secondary should I soak it in a bit of alcohol (vodka or whatever) or steam it or just toss it in?
"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
-W.C. Fields
-W.C. Fields
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
By the time you're dry hopping you don't need to worry (that much) about nasties spoiling your beer. There's enough alcohol in there at that point that it'll take care of anything minor that might creep in (of course sanitation and cleanliness is still important). Just make sure your hops go from their sealed container into your fermenter (or secondary) and you'll be just fine.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Dry Hopping
Good point Jeff, gotta make sure your hops are fresh for best flavor and aroma
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Dry Hopping
I've heard the odd person think they ruined their beer from dry hopping, but I just can't imagine that's the cause. I've massively dryhopped with pellets, leaf, and wet hops and never had a problem.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- eastcoast
- Registered User

- Posts: 10
- Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:57 am
- Name: Barry Myatt
- Location: Country Harbour
Re: Dry Hopping
Thanks guys,
I'll just add it out of the bag like Jeff said.
I'll just add it out of the bag like Jeff said.
"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
-W.C. Fields
-W.C. Fields
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
No worries with dry-hopping, hops are an excellent inhibitor of beer spoilage bacteria so we've been blessed as brewers to go ahead and dump them in.
On another note, here's some info that's not very common knowledge - there have been many studies done on dry-hopping and it's effects, some of the studies were closely related to first wort hopping techniques. Dry-hopping doesn't release any alpha acids or bitterness into the beer but it can and does add astringency depending on the strain and quantities used. Here's where the relation to first wort hopping comes in, they discovered if you steep the raw hops in a bit of water to make a thin slurry @ 160 - 170F for 10 - 15 minutes then dump the whole thing into your finished beer for dry-hopping that it almost completely eliminates the associated astringency and brings new heights to dry-hopping with a more integrated, softer palate while retaining that fresh hop burst. It works.

On another note, here's some info that's not very common knowledge - there have been many studies done on dry-hopping and it's effects, some of the studies were closely related to first wort hopping techniques. Dry-hopping doesn't release any alpha acids or bitterness into the beer but it can and does add astringency depending on the strain and quantities used. Here's where the relation to first wort hopping comes in, they discovered if you steep the raw hops in a bit of water to make a thin slurry @ 160 - 170F for 10 - 15 minutes then dump the whole thing into your finished beer for dry-hopping that it almost completely eliminates the associated astringency and brings new heights to dry-hopping with a more integrated, softer palate while retaining that fresh hop burst. It works.
- akr71
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 2644
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
- Name: Andy
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Nash that just adds to my list of reasons why the term 'dry-hopping' is odd. Hops are always dry (unless you are using wet/fresh hops)
Unless it means the beer is drier (fermented) when we add the dry hops.
So now you are saying I should add 'wet' hops when I am dry-hopping..
So now you are saying I should add 'wet' hops when I am dry-hopping..
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
Well you know me, recipe calls for an oz of hops, I add 12, calls for dry I add wet..... I call it forward thinkingakr71 wrote:Nash that just adds to my list of reasons why the term 'dry-hopping' is odd. Hops are always dry (unless you are using wet/fresh hops)Unless it means the beer is drier (fermented) when we add the dry hops.
So now you are saying I should add 'wet' hops when I am dry-hopping..
- akr71
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 2644
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:18 pm
- Name: Andy
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
So how much water for 'a thin slurry?' Just enough to cover them?
I'm definitely trying this for the next dry-hopped brew.
I'm definitely trying this for the next dry-hopped brew.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
Yeah, then add more as needed, they'll absorb the water and turn into thick mush so just keep them in a slurry.akr71 wrote:So how much water for 'a thin slurry?' Just enough to cover them?
I'm definitely trying this for the next dry-hopped brew.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Dry Hopping
For the record, I've never gotten an infection from dry hopping, and I've done plenty of it. I am definitely trying Nash's slurry trick for my next APA (not until hop harvest time, unfortunately).
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Just reading this thread. I'm interested. Are many people still using the slurry?amartin wrote: I am definitely trying Nash's slurry trick for my next APA (not until hop harvest time, unfortunately).
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
I do, when I'm not being lazy.
My last one I didn't - I just tossed in about 4 oz of dry pellets and beer judges detected astringency.
My last one I didn't - I just tossed in about 4 oz of dry pellets and beer judges detected astringency.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Woody
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 1190
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
- Name: Derek
- Location: Truro, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Interesting! I'm doing this next time I dry hop. I really enjoy dry hopping with different hops for different times. Would this technique still work when you do a 10 day and 3 day dry hop for the same batch? Sometimes I start off with a 10-12 day 2.5 oz dry hop followed by a 3-5 day 2 oz dry hop.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
I like this idea. I have to dry hop a batch tomorrow and will do it this way. I'm thinking the process doesn't need to be neurotically sterile (pre-boiling the water etc.) because the hops are very antimicrobial?NASH wrote:No worries with dry-hopping, hops are an excellent inhibitor of beer spoilage bacteria so we've been blessed as brewers to go ahead and dump them in.
On another note, here's some info that's not very common knowledge - there have been many studies done on dry-hopping and it's effects, some of the studies were closely related to first wort hopping techniques. Dry-hopping doesn't release any alpha acids or bitterness into the beer but it can and does add astringency depending on the strain and quantities used. Here's where the relation to first wort hopping comes in, they discovered if you steep the raw hops in a bit of water to make a thin slurry @ 160 - 170F for 10 - 15 minutes then dump the whole thing into your finished beer for dry-hopping that it almost completely eliminates the associated astringency and brings new heights to dry-hopping with a more integrated, softer palate while retaining that fresh hop burst. It works.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
I'd pre-boil or at least hold hot for a some time to de-aerate and ensure there's no microbes at the same time. Not much bacteria living in potable water, but still, and there's plenty of oxygen present.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Thanks ...will do!NASH wrote:I'd pre-boil or at least hold hot for a some time to de-aerate and ensure there's no microbes at the same time. Not much bacteria living in potable water, but still, and there's plenty of oxygen present.
I devised a simple formula to calculate strike temp for the slurry.
(Volume of water in mls + weight of room temperature pellet hops in grams) divided by volume of water, multiplied by 80 = strike water temp in degrees centigrade.
The formula allows for a little temperature to be absorbed by a 500ml Pyrex salad bowl.
Eg. For my dry hop tomorrow: 1000mls water + 150g pellet hops.
1150/1000 x 80 = 92 C (197.6 f)
I tried it with some very old pellets and it worked (around 165f). Kathleen has a kettle for making special teas. It has a sight glass for volume and you can set it to the temperature you need. The closest button was 200f so I used that. When I dry hop for real tomorrow, I'll boil the water in the kettle, let it cool a bit then take it back up to 200.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Dry Hopping
Thats the formula I use!
Sandy
Sandy
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
I just spent an hour and a half working out that formula and trying it. Don't say that SandyGAM wrote:Thats the formula I use!
Sandy
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
More simply put, for every ounce of pellets at room temp, add 200mls of water at 200f.
Or is that too thick? (5oz + 1L water) It is just thin enough that it will pour, kind of a "thick slurry".
Or is that too thick? (5oz + 1L water) It is just thin enough that it will pour, kind of a "thick slurry".
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Dry Hopping
I love 5oz + 1L. How Canadian.GuingesRock wrote:More simply put, for every ounce of pellets at room temp, add 200mls of water at 200f.
Or is that too thick? (5oz + 1L water) It is just thin enough that it will pour, kind of a "thick slurry".
Sandy
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.RubberToe wrote:I do, when I'm not being lazy.
My last one I didn't - I just tossed in about 4 oz of dry pellets and beer judges detected astringency.
(Also sent pm as wasn't sure if you would see this.)
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
Not enough.GuingesRock wrote:Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.
I use a French press (no, I don't press it). I have to pour mine into a neck of a carboy and it's hard with a lot of hops. My last one was around 4 oz and I had to use a spoon to help get them in there. My press is about a litre but of course I can't use that much water because of the hops. I'm going to have to split them up or use a different vessel next time.
I'm not sure there's an optimal amount of water. If what you did in your test wasn't crazy thick I'd do it that way again. I don't want to dilute my beer too much but at the same time the hops will absorb some of that extra liquid.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Dry Hopping
Thanks, That might be a good point you made. Instead of the dry hops soaking up and wasting beer, they are already saturated with water.RubberToe wrote:Not enough.GuingesRock wrote:Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.
I use a French press (no, I don't press it). I have to pour mine into a neck of a carboy and it's hard with a lot of hops. My last one was around 4 oz and I had to use a spoon to help get them in there. My press is about a litre but of course I can't use that much water because of the hops. I'm going to have to split them up or use a different vessel next time.
I'm not sure there's an optimal amount of water. If what you did in your test wasn't crazy thick I'd do it that way again. I don't want to dilute my beer too much but at the same time the hops will absorb some of that extra liquid.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Dry Hopping
Granted, there'll likely be some diffusion taking place with the alcohol as well.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests