Page 1 of 3
Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 pm
by eastcoast
Is there any risk of spoiling my beer by dry hopping? Before adding it to the secondary should I soak it in a bit of alcohol (vodka or whatever) or steam it or just toss it in?
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 pm
by jeffsmith
By the time you're dry hopping you don't need to worry (that much) about nasties spoiling your beer. There's enough alcohol in there at that point that it'll take care of anything minor that might creep in (of course sanitation and cleanliness is still important). Just make sure your hops go from their sealed container into your fermenter (or secondary) and you'll be just fine.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:04 pm
by LiverDance
Good point Jeff, gotta make sure your hops are fresh for best flavor and aroma
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm
by mr x
I've heard the odd person think they ruined their beer from dry hopping, but I just can't imagine that's the cause. I've massively dryhopped with pellets, leaf, and wet hops and never had a problem.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:09 pm
by eastcoast
Thanks guys,
I'll just add it out of the bag like Jeff said.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:27 pm
by NASH
No worries with dry-hopping, hops are an excellent inhibitor of beer spoilage bacteria so we've been blessed as brewers to go ahead and dump them in.
On another note, here's some info that's not very common knowledge - there have been many studies done on dry-hopping and it's effects, some of the studies were closely related to first wort hopping techniques. Dry-hopping doesn't release any alpha acids or bitterness into the beer but it can and does add astringency depending on the strain and quantities used. Here's where the relation to first wort hopping comes in, they discovered if you steep the raw hops in a bit of water to make a thin slurry @ 160 - 170F for 10 - 15 minutes then dump the whole thing into your finished beer for dry-hopping that it almost completely eliminates the associated astringency and brings new heights to dry-hopping with a more integrated, softer palate while retaining that fresh hop burst. It works.

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 pm
by akr71
Nash that just adds to my list of reasons why the term 'dry-hopping' is odd. Hops are always dry (unless you are using wet/fresh hops)

Unless it means
the beer is drier (fermented) when we add the dry hops.
So now you are saying I should add 'wet' hops when I am dry-hopping..

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:09 pm
by NASH
akr71 wrote:Nash that just adds to my list of reasons why the term 'dry-hopping' is odd. Hops are always dry (unless you are using wet/fresh hops)

Unless it means
the beer is drier (fermented) when we add the dry hops.
So now you are saying I should add 'wet' hops when I am dry-hopping..

Well you know me, recipe calls for an oz of hops, I add 12, calls for dry I add wet..... I call it forward thinking

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:44 am
by akr71
So how much water for 'a thin slurry?' Just enough to cover them?
I'm definitely trying this for the next dry-hopped brew.

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:02 am
by NASH
akr71 wrote:So how much water for 'a thin slurry?' Just enough to cover them?
I'm definitely trying this for the next dry-hopped brew.

Yeah, then add more as needed, they'll absorb the water and turn into thick mush so just keep them in a slurry.

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:39 pm
by amartin
For the record, I've never gotten an infection from dry hopping, and I've done plenty of it. I am definitely trying Nash's slurry trick for my next APA (not until hop harvest time, unfortunately).
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 am
by GuingesRock
amartin wrote: I am definitely trying Nash's slurry trick for my next APA (not until hop harvest time, unfortunately).
Just reading this thread. I'm interested. Are many people still using the slurry?
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 am
by RubberToe
I do, when I'm not being lazy.
My last one I didn't - I just tossed in about 4 oz of dry pellets and beer judges detected astringency.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am
by Woody
Interesting! I'm doing this next time I dry hop. I really enjoy dry hopping with different hops for different times. Would this technique still work when you do a 10 day and 3 day dry hop for the same batch? Sometimes I start off with a 10-12 day 2.5 oz dry hop followed by a 3-5 day 2 oz dry hop.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:38 pm
by GuingesRock
NASH wrote:No worries with dry-hopping, hops are an excellent inhibitor of beer spoilage bacteria so we've been blessed as brewers to go ahead and dump them in.
On another note, here's some info that's not very common knowledge - there have been many studies done on dry-hopping and it's effects, some of the studies were closely related to first wort hopping techniques. Dry-hopping doesn't release any alpha acids or bitterness into the beer but it can and does add astringency depending on the strain and quantities used. Here's where the relation to first wort hopping comes in, they discovered if you steep the raw hops in a bit of water to make a thin slurry @ 160 - 170F for 10 - 15 minutes then dump the whole thing into your finished beer for dry-hopping that it almost completely eliminates the associated astringency and brings new heights to dry-hopping with a more integrated, softer palate while retaining that fresh hop burst. It works.

I like this idea. I have to dry hop a batch tomorrow and will do it this way. I'm thinking the process doesn't need to be neurotically sterile (pre-boiling the water etc.) because the hops are very antimicrobial?
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm
by NASH
I'd pre-boil or at least hold hot for a some time to de-aerate and ensure there's no microbes at the same time. Not much bacteria living in potable water, but still, and there's plenty of oxygen present.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:49 pm
by GuingesRock
NASH wrote:I'd pre-boil or at least hold hot for a some time to de-aerate and ensure there's no microbes at the same time. Not much bacteria living in potable water, but still, and there's plenty of oxygen present.
Thanks ...will do!
I devised a simple formula to calculate strike temp for the slurry.
(Volume of water in mls + weight of room temperature pellet hops in grams) divided by volume of water, multiplied by 80 = strike water temp in degrees centigrade.
The formula allows for a little temperature to be absorbed by a 500ml Pyrex salad bowl.
Eg. For my dry hop tomorrow: 1000mls water + 150g pellet hops.
1150/1000 x 80 = 92 C (197.6 f)
I tried it with some very old pellets and it worked (around 165f). Kathleen has a kettle for making special teas. It has a sight glass for volume and you can set it to the temperature you need. The closest button was 200f so I used that. When I dry hop for real tomorrow, I'll boil the water in the kettle, let it cool a bit then take it back up to 200.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:50 pm
by GAM
Thats the formula I use!
Sandy
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 pm
by GuingesRock
GAM wrote:Thats the formula I use!
Sandy
I just spent an hour and a half working out that formula and trying it. Don't say that Sandy

That's enough to make a person say "Sod It!" and go and pour a beer.

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 pm
by GuingesRock
More simply put, for every ounce of pellets at room temp, add 200mls of water at 200f.
Or is that too thick? (5oz + 1L water) It is just thin enough that it will pour, kind of a "thick slurry".
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:03 pm
by GAM
GuingesRock wrote:More simply put, for every ounce of pellets at room temp, add 200mls of water at 200f.
Or is that too thick? (5oz + 1L water) It is just thin enough that it will pour, kind of a "thick slurry".
I love 5oz + 1L. How Canadian.
Sandy
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 am
by GuingesRock

...add in measurements like barrels, gallons, American pints, and you have a true Canadian brewer.
RubberToe wrote:I do, when I'm not being lazy.
My last one I didn't - I just tossed in about 4 oz of dry pellets and beer judges detected astringency.
Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.
(Also sent pm as wasn't sure if you would see this.)

Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 am
by RubberToe
GuingesRock wrote:Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.
Not enough.
I use a French press (no, I don't press it). I have to pour mine into a neck of a carboy and it's hard with a lot of hops. My last one was around 4 oz and I had to use a spoon to help get them in there. My press is about a litre but of course I can't use that much water because of the hops. I'm going to have to split them up or use a different vessel next time.
I'm not sure there's an optimal amount of water. If what you did in your test wasn't crazy thick I'd do it that way again. I don't want to dilute my beer too much but at the same time the hops will absorb some of that extra liquid.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:14 am
by GuingesRock
RubberToe wrote:GuingesRock wrote:Rob, how much water do you put with your hops to make the slurry please? I'm going to be doing this today.
Not enough.
I use a French press (no, I don't press it). I have to pour mine into a neck of a carboy and it's hard with a lot of hops. My last one was around 4 oz and I had to use a spoon to help get them in there. My press is about a litre but of course I can't use that much water because of the hops. I'm going to have to split them up or use a different vessel next time.
I'm not sure there's an optimal amount of water. If what you did in your test wasn't crazy thick I'd do it that way again. I don't want to dilute my beer too much but at the same time the hops will absorb some of that extra liquid.
Thanks, That might be a good point you made. Instead of the dry hops soaking up and wasting beer, they are already saturated with water.
Re: Dry Hopping
Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am
by RubberToe
Granted, there'll likely be some diffusion taking place with the alcohol as well.