souring an old ale

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Hey All,

I have an old ale I did recently, and after 2 and a half weeks, it's sitting around 1.019. While that does put that in the normal range for the style, it's still sweeter than I'd like. I had an ESB I did last summer, and two of the three buckets I did got an infection of some sort. I thought at the time that that sucked, but it was a very slight infection and I actually preferred it to the uninfected beer. It wasn't really sour, it just tasted a little drier. I'm thinking maybe I want to do something similar to this beer to dry it out a little bit. My plan is to rack off a small portion of it, around 5% or so, then infecting it, pasteurizing it, and blending it back in to taste.

Thoughts? I was thinking I'd probably use the lactic bacteria on malt, because I don't want to spring for a package of brettanomyces.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: souring an old ale

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:09 pm

If you don't want to sour, just drop the gravity, you can pitch a new round of a more attenuative yeast. If you do so, make sure that the yeast is in active fermentation when you pitch (pitch a starter at peak fermentation). Depending on what your ABV currently is, there are a bunch of off the shelf yeasts that should plow through a few more points.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: souring an old ale

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm

I'd be hesitant too with the infection/pasteurization route - pasteurization might affect the flavour
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Hmm. That might be a better idea. I have some 1272 in the fridge, but the carboy is kind of full already. Do you think just pitching a packet of US-05 would work?

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: souring an old ale

Post by mr x » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Repitching into big beers can be frustrating. I'd make sure it's really rocking, preferably racking onto an active yeastcake.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:56 pm

It's already in the secondary, I don't want to rack again. Maybe I'll make a two cup starter and pitch at high krausen. I only need it to drop a few points.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: souring an old ale

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:34 am

Good luck. That did not work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:34 pm

The only reason I can think of that it's finished that high is that it's not warm enough. It's been at the low end most of the time, and since I needed to buy a heating pad for wine in the fall anyway, I just broke down and bought it today. I'll warm it up and swirl it around, hopefully that'll do it. I really don't want this beer to not work.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: souring an old ale

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Once you are dealing with beer as opposed to wort, the complications increase greatly, beyond temperature alone. I would never repitch again, and I used really active yeast btw. Active yeastcake ftw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm not going to have another active yeast cake for a few weeks, and even then, it'll be the same English yeast that didn't finish this time. I'll see how it goes.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: souring an old ale

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:42 pm

It probably wouldn't hurt to try throwing a properly rehydrated pack of Nottingham in there. That yeast eats through sugar. It's only a $5 investment if it doesn't take hold, so no big deal.
Last edited by jason.loxton on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: souring an old ale

Post by gm- » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:54 pm

You could always hit it with a pack of brett, could be interesting and maybe even more authentic.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: souring an old ale

Post by amartin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:08 pm

jason.loxton wrote:It probably wouldn't hurt to try throwing a properly rehydrated pack of Nottingham in there. That yeast eats through sugar. It's only a $5 investment if it doesn't take hold, so no big deal.
Yeah, I'll try that too.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests