Around The Block With Yeast

A spot to talk general homebrew
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Around The Block With Yeast

Post by GAM » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:55 am

Mitch I have a "Red Bull" cooler that could work as a chamber if you have a temperature regulator.

I can drop it down to you.

S

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:25 pm

oh, I've got a pair of mini fridges hooked up to inkbirds so I'm geared in that department. I was more asking if anyone else was since I won't really be brewing now until sometime in january.

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:19 pm

I tried this technique on a batch of 1.050 OG APA. I started at 12°C. I used one packet in ~14L which I'm sure was on the low side for pitching at this temperature. As a result, lag time was on the long side (36 hours). I kept the temperature at 12°C for three days of active fermentation and then raised the temperature by 1°C per day up to 18°C, and then I removed it from the fermentation chamber - ambient temperature is usually about 20°C. It is now Day 13 since pitching yeast. Visible action has subsided and the gravity is 1.012 which seems appropriate for US-05. Sample tastes very fruity, although it is hard to tell whether this is from the yeast or the hops (Citra + Nelson Sauvin added at whirpool). No other flaws that I can detect, although I am no expert taster. I still need to dry hop and throw it in bottles, so I'll give another update in a few weeks.

In hindsight, a beer with less fruit-forward hops would have been a better canvas to test this on.

But I really like fruit-forward hops.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:13 am

This technique came up again in conversation out here in Kelowna - but the topic was milkshake IPA so I don't think that would be a very good "blank slate" beer to judge what came from the yeast lol.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”