Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
-
nathan
- Registered User

- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:09 am
- Name: Nathan Koop
Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Hello Brewnosers,
Firstly, I hope this is the correct place to advertise this, if not, please let me know and I'll move it.
We would like to invite your membership to participate in the second annual Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge.
We are building on last year’s successes, once again we have great prizes; amazing judges and fast scoresheet and prize delivery, but also this year we are mixing it up a bit. We have limited the maximum amount of entries by a single brewer to six. This is to promote sending your absolute best beers to competition.
Once again, the prize for Best in Show (amateur only) is the ability to brew the winning beer at Half Pints. Last years winner, Dean Kelly, will be brewing his Simcoe Spruce (Spruce tip IPA) in the coming weeks. It will be released during competition week and will be available in bottles and on tap around the city.
We would also like to invite your membership to attend. We will assist in finding arrangements and transportation. We will have a series of beer related events throughout the week.
Sincerely,
Nathan Koop,
Half Pints Pro/Am Brew Challenge Steering Committee
Vital Statistics
Registration: Aug 24 - Sept 21
Competition: Sept 30 - Oct 4
Entry: $8
Max Entries: 6
Beer Received by: Sept 27
Firstly, I hope this is the correct place to advertise this, if not, please let me know and I'll move it.
We would like to invite your membership to participate in the second annual Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge.
We are building on last year’s successes, once again we have great prizes; amazing judges and fast scoresheet and prize delivery, but also this year we are mixing it up a bit. We have limited the maximum amount of entries by a single brewer to six. This is to promote sending your absolute best beers to competition.
Once again, the prize for Best in Show (amateur only) is the ability to brew the winning beer at Half Pints. Last years winner, Dean Kelly, will be brewing his Simcoe Spruce (Spruce tip IPA) in the coming weeks. It will be released during competition week and will be available in bottles and on tap around the city.
We would also like to invite your membership to attend. We will assist in finding arrangements and transportation. We will have a series of beer related events throughout the week.
Sincerely,
Nathan Koop,
Half Pints Pro/Am Brew Challenge Steering Committee
Vital Statistics
Registration: Aug 24 - Sept 21
Competition: Sept 30 - Oct 4
Entry: $8
Max Entries: 6
Beer Received by: Sept 27
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Hi Nathan, is there a website for the competition? Winnipeg, correct?
Thanks,
-Rob
Thanks,
-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Reviving this thread, now that the registration window has opened, and their site is up.
http://winnipegbrewbombers.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone interested in entering, and splitting shipping costs?
http://winnipegbrewbombers.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anyone interested in entering, and splitting shipping costs?
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Perhaps, I want to get some more brews into competition before the year's out.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I'm brewing an APA tomorrow - if I'm ecstatic about it, I may enter.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I need help bottling off keg. If I can get that figured out i'm in for a couple. Jimmy has been raving all night about his mild. If he's not in I'll pay his entry on it.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Keith wrote:I need help bottling off keg. If I can get that figured out i'm in for a couple. Jimmy has been raving all night about his mild. If he's not in I'll pay his entry on it.
I'll see how it turns out..it's only been fermenting for a few days but I pulled a couple samples and it's tasting good. I'm not familiar with the style, so I'll likely bring it to this months meeting to see if it's to style/worth entering.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I use a bottling wand, a #2 stopper, and a ball lock liquid connector to make a counter-pressure filler of sorts. Have everything cold, including the beer. Bleed off your pressure to just enough to push beer, cap on foam. Keep everything spotlessly clean and sanitized throughout the process.Keith wrote:I need help bottling off keg. If I can get that figured out i'm in for a couple. Jimmy has been raving all night about his mild. If he's not in I'll pay his entry on it.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I have the Brewnosers counter pressure filler that I'm happy to (read: would prefer to) pass along to the next person. Can bring to the next meeting (assuming I'm in town).
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I can't see the shipping address anywhere: http://registration.winnipegbrewbombers.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
This may be useful for the garrison comp...chalmers wrote:I have the Brewnosers counter pressure filler that I'm happy to (read: would prefer to) pass along to the next person. Can bring to the next meeting (assuming I'm in town).
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
http://registration.winnipegbrewbombers ... entry#drop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;GuingesRock wrote:I can't see the shipping address anywhere: http://registration.winnipegbrewbombers.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the first address is the shipping location, but best to confirm. When you go through the beer registration procedure, I'm surprised it doesn't give you an address.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Thanks Chris, I wrote to them before but no reply. Can you ship to "David's" without a surname? I suppose you can ...maybe.chalmers wrote:http://registration.winnipegbrewbombers ... entry#drop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;GuingesRock wrote:I can't see the shipping address anywhere: http://registration.winnipegbrewbombers.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I believe the first address is the shipping location, but best to confirm. When you go through the beer registration procedure, I'm surprised it doesn't give you an address.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Just FYI I'm also sponsoring this again! There are lot's of great prizes this year from all the sponsors so get your beers in soon!
I think Chris (the organizer) has been gone for the past day or two. I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he gets a chance.
Thanks
I think Chris (the organizer) has been gone for the past day or two. I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he gets a chance.
Thanks
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
How much are you guys paying for shipping?
I do have a Belgium Cherry Vanilla Wheat Saison that has been aging in the keg for the past month...maybe send it off
I do have a Belgium Cherry Vanilla Wheat Saison that has been aging in the keg for the past month...maybe send it off
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
I just sent two entries to Ottawa for their contest, and FedEx ground cost me $17, and should be there in three business days.
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
That's so much cheaper than CP
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Still no word back. Nathan Koop is the contact person when you send a message on the site and I sent 2 messages, he's listed as the competition coordinator. If you are talking to them Dave, would you mind asking about the shipping address. I guess I will ship to David's anyway as that seems like the only option.EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:Just FYI I'm also sponsoring this again! There are lot's of great prizes this year from all the sponsors so get your beers in soon!
I think Chris (the organizer) has been gone for the past day or two. I'm sure he'll respond as soon as he gets a chance.
Thanks
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Half Pints Pro/Am Challenge
Would someone be able to move this to the competition section please.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests