Hi,
I'm wondering what are peoples thoughts on filtering your beer before kegging? I only bottle right now, I dont have the space at the moment for kegs but will soon, but I am starting to plan/research what gear I will need and any advice on filtering would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Marc
Filter before kegging?
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Filter before kegging?
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Filter before kegging?
If you want clear beer in the keg right away I suggest you use gelatin finings. You will be risking oxidizing and possibly infecting your beer if you filter. I'm assuming you were thinking about using a wine filter?
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Filter before kegging?
Most (if not all) people here don't filter... It can strip out flavour. Might be a good thing if you're making a macro-style beer. Not really concerned about clarity.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- SealClubber
- Verified User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am
Re: Filter before kegging?
I saw this before, not sure if anyone around here uses it: https://www.brewershardware.com/Trub-Strainer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: Filter before kegging?
Still very early in the planning stages but a wine filter or something like https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... ousing-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but with just regular filters (not charcoal). I'll keep that in mind though about the flavour. Nice to have experienced homebrewers that I can ask about these things rather than just rely on youtube
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Filter before kegging?
Hey Marc,
I use Gelatin when I am concerned about clarity. First 2 pints are murky but after that it pours clear.
After that you could always jumper it into another keg if you are that concerned.
To use the Gelatin.
Steralize cup and spoon
1/4 cup water preheated to 160F, stir in 1 tsp gelatin.
dump into cooled keg, purge air from keg and hook up to the tap. Wait 24 hours for gelatin to settle, then pour off a couple pints.

I use Gelatin when I am concerned about clarity. First 2 pints are murky but after that it pours clear.
After that you could always jumper it into another keg if you are that concerned.
To use the Gelatin.
Steralize cup and spoon
1/4 cup water preheated to 160F, stir in 1 tsp gelatin.
dump into cooled keg, purge air from keg and hook up to the tap. Wait 24 hours for gelatin to settle, then pour off a couple pints.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest