Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
-
Rev. Schumps
- Registered User

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:43 am
- Name: Joash Schumpelt
Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
Hey ya'll So I was at the moncton zoo with my family this week and right above the lions and the ostriches I found a gigantic hops vine just beginning to flower. In due time there will be a lot of hops ready for the grabbing and bagging. I don't know how long it will take the flowers to grow out..
So I would like to know if anyone else has notice oddly planted Hops... In and around the maritimes. Extra points if you have brewed with them or can identify them..
So I would like to know if anyone else has notice oddly planted Hops... In and around the maritimes. Extra points if you have brewed with them or can identify them..
- Maritimer
- Verified User

- Posts: 502
- Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
- Name: Nick Baxter
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
I was there last year and there were hops everywhere, not sure what they would think about picking them all.
Beer.
-
Rev. Schumps
- Registered User

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:43 am
- Name: Joash Schumpelt
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
I grabbed a cutting, no one seemed to mind that.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
King's landing has some too, but I don't know what kind. They have some that they're actually cultivating, and some that are growing wild in one of the bigger gardens.
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
End of the road pub in Bridgetown has some growing as well
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
I've seen hops popping up in a few places in Cumberland country, but I have an idea who is responsible for at least a few of the plants...

- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
They're available to anyone that wants to go harvest them this year again too!
Somebody please go harvest my hops and make some delicious beer with them! Don't let them die a sad lonely death again this year....
-
Rev. Schumps
- Registered User

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:43 am
- Name: Joash Schumpelt
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
I have an older friend who worked as a forester for what seems like half the 20th century. One story he likes to tell is of the time they found a hops plant in the middle of the woods in New Brunswick.. They had some big shots from the local universities come look at it and it was classified as native and extremely rare.. They essentially fenced it off and forgot about it.. I often wonder what that might look like to brew with. But he doesn't remember where it was. Exactly..
-
jmacdonald
- Verified User

- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am
- Name: Jeff
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
The hops that me and my dad have growing our places are ones that came from an old homestead. We have yet to determine what variety they are, however the few brews we have made with them are not too shabby. 
-
jmacdonald
- Verified User

- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am
- Name: Jeff
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
I would love to! They are Nugget if I remember correctly?NASH wrote:
They're available to anyone that wants to go harvest them this year again too!
Somebody please go harvest my hops and make some delicious beer with them! Don't let them die a sad lonely death again this year....
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
Yes they are. Have at 'em! You know where they are?
-
jmacdonald
- Verified User

- Posts: 296
- Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am
- Name: Jeff
- Location: Amherst, NS
Re: Mass of hops found at moncton zoo
Yep! Right where I have been getting my Christmas trees, also known as Nash's Corner to me.
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests