Is there anything better than....

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:26 pm

Cleaning old bottles from the bottle return... This must be the best part of homebrewing.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409938010.334319.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:46 pm

What a god awful process, I'll be doing this soon for the Decembeer exchange. ugh.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by amartin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Just ask around, and start saving them. You have a few months.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Yea I'll have plenty of bottles. Just hate the cleaning part. haha.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:55 pm

I wish I had one of those industrial dish washers... Although I must say these 12oz musoka bottles are a huge time save because the labels fall off in one solid piece every time. At home I had a couple hundred grolsh bottles so I never had to do this. I just washed them after each beer.

I picked up 36 and the local bottle exchange charged me 15$ which isn't bad but I was paying that for grolsh bottles at home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:00 pm

If I get back into bottling I'll be gearing up a bottle washer of sorts.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by amartin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 pm

If you rinse them right after use, you don't need to clean them later, just a quick dip in some star san is fine. Not that helps you with the bottles you have now though.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by gm- » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:16 pm

Pretty horrible task, when I bottled, I usually put them in the dishwasher, threw out the ones that didn't get clean in there, and then sanitized before bottling with star san or in the oven.

I am planning to bottle my sours, so I will have to start stockpiling some grolsch bottles again.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Yea I typically get Grolsch bottles as well from the Depot as well, friggin nasty job.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:17 pm

GM how soon are you going to bottle the sour?

I pitched my bugs about a month ago now i wasn't sure how long i should leave it in the carboy until i bottle it. I'd like to brew another batch and pitch on the cake too... now that i have all those critters in there.

gm- wrote:Pretty horrible task, when I bottled, I usually put them in the dishwasher, threw out the ones that didn't get clean in there, and then sanitized before bottling with star san or in the oven.

I am planning to bottle my sours, so I will have to start stockpiling some grolsch bottles again.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by gm- » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:36 pm

I was going to wait for at least 3 months. Hoping to bottle in November so I can give out my Oud bruin for the December advent calendar.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 pm

Ok thats what i thought too. Have you tried a sample yet? I can't wait to try it i'll be home for a weekend in october and i plan on trying a sample then.

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Tim Gregory » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:58 pm

Sour beers generally need a lot of time. Mine are both over a year on the carboy right right now

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by dean2k » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Can't complain with the Muskoka bottle labels. Those babies peel right off. There's a prom night joke to be made there, but I'm too classy for that. :moon:
.............................................

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by McGruff » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:03 am

I keg and bottle. All of my bottles are from Steam Whistle and Mill Street. No labels. I brew 10 gallons at a time, 1 goes in a keg and I bottle 48. I don't have a lot of keg space so I have to do this. Yea, I hate bottling but it's nice to see cases of tax free beer on the shelf :)

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:59 am

Do you prime and bottle or bottle off a keg?

Thats a good way to do it though. Especially if you have some house brews that you like doing all the time.

McGruff wrote:I keg and bottle. All of my bottles are from Steam Whistle and Mill Street. No labels. I brew 10 gallons at a time, 1 goes in a keg and I bottle 48. I don't have a lot of keg space so I have to do this. Yea, I hate bottling but it's nice to see cases of tax free beer on the shelf :)

CurtisD
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 am
Name: Curtis
Location: Moncton, NB

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by CurtisD » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Is there a "best practice" for cleaning and sanitizing bottles? I've been accumulating the 1L swing-tops from Howe Sound, 500ml swing-tops from Hacker-Schorr, and the Propeller 650ml bottles...the only thing stopping me from getting started with a Festa Brew is not really knowing how to properly clean and sanitize the bottles. A Google search gives me a bijillion different methods....I don't want to screw up my first batch!

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by Keith » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Curtis I soak mine in pbw for 2-3 hours, rinse well then spray down in and out with starsan just before filling.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by mcgster » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Keith wrote:Curtis I soak mine in pbw for 2-3 hours, rinse well then spray down in and out with starsan just before filling.
+1 to this, really hot water and pbw works like a charm... usually after a good spray down they look like new.

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Is there anything better than....

Post by McGruff » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:16 am

I prime the bottles and let them age as long as I can which wasn't that long this summer.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests