Hop Harvest
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Hop Harvest
I'm new at the hop growing game. Have eight Cascades out there full of cones, some are starting to turn brown around the edges. Looking for some advise as to when to harvest them, I'm thinking now would be good, but I just want to be sure. Nice and papery on the outside, fragrant and somewhat sticky on the inside. Any suggestions?
Why brew beer I can buy?
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Hop Harvest
They're probably ready, but use these notes as guides.
Ladd wrote:Spread the leaves apart on the cones too and look at the lupulin glands inside. If it still bright yellow they are not ready. The lupulin will darken to more of a golden color when they are ready. Keep an eye on them every couple of days, you don't want the lupulin to start turning brown or they are no good anymore. Some people say another tell tale sign is when you start getting browning on the tips of the leaves but with the weather cooling down the way it is, you probably won't see that this year.
From this thread: http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 30#p104100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;wortly (a hops scientist) wrote:Matt is right on with the timing based on the color of the lupulin, but there is one more thing to consider when you are thinking of harvesting. If you wait, then your essential oil levels actually increase, the alpha levels peak before the oil levels. You are better off taking your time and waiting to harvest rather than jumping the gun and ending up with lawn clippings. Our centennials and nuggets were close as of yesterday, but we are going to wait until early next week so that we max out on the oil.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Hop Harvest
Sounds like they're probably ready, like Chris said. I'm in the middle if harvesting mine, so I'd assume yours would follow a pretty similar growth pattern.
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Hop Harvest
My brew buddy picked the wild hops down the road (cascade), and are drying now....his hops are also ready to be picked (cascade & sterling), my 6 cones (hurricane damage/didn't recover) will be used to dry hop a single glass of my tears
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Hop Harvest
Harvested tonight, about 10 litres worth for 8 plants, now on to the drying. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated, my hands have a definite hint of IPA
Why brew beer I can buy?
-
Boondock902
- Registered User

- Posts: 13
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:31 pm
- Name: Andrew Kendall
Re: Hop Harvest
I just harvested the mystery hops that grow along the Northumberland coast. Found an old abandoned farmhouse – at one time the obviously planted hops as decoration around the entranceways. I don’t sppose anyone can ID them from the picture?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Hop Harvest
I've got a little title over 2lbs. dry off my plants now. Just not enough time to get them all harvested. I spent this evening picking again to try and beat the frost and expect I'll end up with another ¾ to 1 lb. after drying.
Hoping the frost isn't too heavy here so that I'll get a few more nights to pick.
Hoping the frost isn't too heavy here so that I'll get a few more nights to pick.
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Hop Harvest
Here's my harvest, any ideas on what I could make with them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: Hop Harvest
A salad?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- canuck
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
- Name: Shane
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
- Contact:
- HoweFox
- Verified User

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Hop Harvest
My harvest for the season. About 1lb wet so I probably about 3oz once it is dried...enough for a nice APA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://PrivateLadyEscorts.com - Local Chat Dating - No Verify - Anonymous Sex Dating - No Bots Dating Chat
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Hop Harvest
I ended up with a huge amount this year. 4oz dried of Centennial, 8oz dried of Columbus, 8oz dried of Galena, and 1.5lbs dried of Cascade. I could have ended up with about 3 times the amount of dried Cascade, but just didn't have the time to finish harvesting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests