Buffing Up Old Kegs

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:13 pm

What would you buff up the outside of old Cornys with to make them look like new? I tried using this thing. Even though it is nylon it was scratching the surface, removed the old labels nicely though. Now I'm using BKF and a nylon scouring pad. They are looking a bit better but not as good as I wanted. When I used to do metal work there was some kind of polishing wheel that you put paste on, Do they still have that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16 pm

I polished my keggle to a mirror finish with fine grit sandpaper, rough polishing wheel, and then buffed with 2 or 3 different polishing compounds, all from Princess Auto.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?

This is as far as I got with the BKF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by Timothy Doane » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 pm

I use Bar Keepers Friend powder mixed with water and a blue scratch free 3M stainless scrubbie and wipe off with a rag. It works fast and looks great. I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:57 pm

Timothy Doane wrote: I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.
Tim - can you explain spar varnish (as I clean the black from my hands) :lol:
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by spears104 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:09 pm

GuingesRock wrote:Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?

This is as far as I got with the BKF.
You can get different buffers and the SS polishing compound at princess auto that will fit in your drill. I'd give them a rub with scotchbrite pad first to get the ugly stuff off.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by Timothy Doane » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 am

It was my fathers suggestion, he told me it used for sailboats mostly. The carpets at my kegerator are grey, and when I clean the kegs it seems like when water hits the black - it stains everything.
I use Minwax indoor/outdood Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear gloss. First with cleaning wipes (and gloves) I clean the black as well as possible let it dry then paint on the spar varnish - a little will really go a long way. it tends to run a bit so when I'm done every 10 min or so for a hour I look for drips and paint them back in. It takes 2-3 days to dry, then I do the other side.
When finshed it gies a glossy/shinny appearence that is a hard shell - it will never stain again - this is a permanent solution.
I wish I knew how to post a pic they do look great!

Hope this helps!

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks! I may give it a shot.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests