Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by Maritimer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm moving to an apartment and I want to bring my brewing inside. I have heard some folks have a dial control on their electric set-ups.
Could you shed some light on this? I'm probably going to be forced to go 110V unless I plug into the stove outlet. I really want to keep things minimalist and compact.
Looking forward to stumbling home again :drunk:
Beer.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Expensive, but this is what I have. It has a thermostat so you can set your mash water to strike temp and walk away, go to bed, etc. and it's ready to mash in whenever you show up.

http://www.homebrewsupplies.ca/product/ ... heater-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That one is out of stock, but they have the 11" http://www.homebrewsupplies.ca/product/ ... heater-11/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by Maritimer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

Edit: note to self google before you ask. I see now it rests on the lip of the pot, looks like just what I need.
What sort of boil time are you looking at?

Thanks Mark,
That looks simple enough, where is the thermostat? and how does it connect to the pot? it's hard to tell in the picture.
Last edited by Maritimer on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:11 pm

The thermostat is integral, it is controlled by a knob on the top. It's a mechanical thermostat so takes a while to figure out where to set the knob for the desired temperature the first time.

I can take some close up pics for you this evening
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:04 pm

I put a new knob on this one. Also I re-designed and cut out a new piece of stainless steel and attached it to hook over the pot edge. The one that came attached to it was totally impractical. It is pictured on the sites that sell it with a GFI on it, but when it comes it has no GFI. Where the element is bent it comes black looking (at the round end and at the 90 degree bend) mine cleaned up OKish with BKF. You will need to plug it into a GFI socket, but most kitchens have that. The socket also needs to be a 20AMP 110V one, some kitchens, particularly in newer houses, have 20 A sockets in the kitchen. A 20A socket looks like the one below. I had to wire in a socket for mine.

Looks like a piece of junk, especially for the price, but works very well as modified, and I love it.

It's slow, I think 2200 watts, but the thermostat means you can leave it on come back to it in a couple of hours. I only use to heat the water to strike temp for the mash and I use it to heat 16 gallons. I'll do that overnight, or while I'm at work in the morning and it is ready to mash in when I get home at lunch on my afternoon off day. I imagine with a 5 gal batch it would take maybe an hour to get from mash temp to boil, and the same to get the water to strike temp for the mash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by gm- » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Has anybody tried to use portable induction cooktops to brew? Am thinking about building a 3 tier gravity fed rig, with 2 induction ready pots, 2 cooktops, and my trusty 15 gal cooler. Could be used inside or outside, and would be very portable.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:26 am

I've thought about induction and researched it many times. There are some commercial ones that are very powerful (and expensive). I particularly like the thermostat function ...I think step mashes would be a doddle with that ability, plus maintaining a constant mash temp. I think you have to get your induction ready brewing pots from the states (Northern Brewer has them).

About the heat stick again. If you can use it in conjunction with a stove you'll have a batch done lickety split. I'll do that with my full vol. mash pot when I want to get on with things.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by jtmwhyte » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:58 pm

Why not just build a control box like these http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are cheap enough to put together and work very well. I actually removed this element setup and installed it in a 30 litre sanke to make my 3 gallon eBIAB pilot system
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by Maritimer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 pm

jtmwhyte wrote:Why not just build a control box like these http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are cheap enough to put together and work very well. I actually removed this element setup and installed it in a 30 litre sanke to make my 3 gallon eBIAB pilot system
Lot's of info in that thread, thanks. I'm curious, what was the final price tag on your complete element?
Beer.

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by jtmwhyte » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:35 am

General Prices: (will update as I think of more)

Control Box:

Toolbox ~$3
10/4 weather resistant wire (I got about 10ft.) at $2.79/ft at Home Hardware. ~$30
Strain relief for wires ~$5 for two
Controller/SSR/SCR... whatever the fuck you call it ~$20 shipped from Asia

Element Housing:

I built mine, but if I had it to do again I'd just buy one of these:
http://brewhardware.com/rimsherms-parts ... ementparts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --> Option 5 comes with all the hardware
I probably spent 100 bucks on the element box and fittings alone.

6000w Camco LWD element - Amazon - ~$25 shipping included
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by Maritimer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks for that. I agree that building your own element is ideal for high wattage, large volume boils.
I'm forced to run with 110V doing 5 gal boils, I think I'm going to go the store bought route just for the convenience. Looks like it will come in at an extra 30 dollars or so at best.
Beer.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:47 am

This doesn't come with a personal recommendation from me, but the Internet seems to be pretty pleased with this 240 v induction plate. At <$200, with no need for controller, it might be a reasonable choice to low stress, small volume electric brewing.

http://www.amazon.com/Avantco-IC3500-Co ... B00514BTJ6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/will-c ... rk-301722/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of roiling boil on 7 gallons of wort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUqYZX-PGU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Maritimer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:27 am
Name: Nick Baxter

Re: Info please: Simple Electric heat stick controller

Post by Maritimer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:26 pm

I wonder, will a magnet stick to Dave's brew pots?

No you got me thinking induction...

http://www.amazon.ca/1800-Watt-Portable ... B0045QEPYM
seems like a good 120v cooker

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/10_Gallo ... kettle.htm
An induction pot

From what I've read an 1800W induction cooker can boil 5-6 gal of wort in an insulated pot.
Beer.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests