Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by Jimmy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:31 am

Is Wyeast yeast nutrient available locally?

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:04 am

Haven't seen it anywhere. But Dave carries the White Labs version.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by mr x » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:48 am

I'm sure ng would get it in, but I bet Dave can get it too. What do you want it for? Troubles, or fun?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by Jimmy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 am

mr x wrote:I'm sure ng would get it in, but I bet Dave can get it too. What do you want it for? Troubles, or fun?
Just thinking I should likely be using it since I'm brewing with 100% RO water. I know you're getting most of what you need from the wort, but zinc is likely low in my wort.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:22 am

That's the one I use. I get it online.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:14 am

White labs yeast nutrient is amino acids. I think it's their other yeast nutrient thing that has the zinc, I think it is called Servomyces.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by Jimmy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 am

Celiacbrew wrote:White labs yeast nutrient is amino acids. I think it's their other yeast nutrient thing that has the zinc, I think it is called Servomyces.
Correct. It's yeast that has been saturated in zinc or something like that.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Jimmy wrote:
Celiacbrew wrote:White labs yeast nutrient is amino acids. I think it's their other yeast nutrient thing that has the zinc, I think it is called Servomyces.
Correct. It's yeast that has been saturated in zinc or something like that.

Most places I checked don't carry Servomyces. Dave should be able to order it with his next white labs order. Failing that I think one of the online stores carried it when I looked into getting some. I just wanted it for making yeast so I landed on the wyeast/whitelabs yeast nutrient instead. I was worried about adding too much zinc to my starters and the yeast nutrients have considerably less zinc than the Servomyces.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

Post by KMcK » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:White labs yeast nutrient is amino acids. I think it's their other yeast nutrient thing that has the zinc, I think it is called Servomyces.

Is it zinc oxide?
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests