Sanke Conversion Kit

A spot to talk general homebrew
JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Sanke Conversion Kit

Post by JohnnyMac » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I've got a 50 litre Sanke keg that I want to convert into a fermenter, mostly for use as a secondary that I can lager for a while. I've already converted a Sanke (into a Sabco style fermenter) which works really well but cost me about three times what I had budgeted.

Surfing about, I came across this bad boy. I'm interested but wanted to see if anyone has tried this one or has any feedback.

http://www.brewershardware.com/American ... owell.html
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Sanke Conversion Kit

Post by mr x » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Yeah, I've seen those before. Interesting, my only concern would be cleaning and sanitizing once you are finished. If you were to buy that, I could most likely supply the 3/8" racking arm and the 1/2" blowoff tube. Would save a few dollars on parts and shipping.

You might be able to build one with some help too. Other than the clamp, you would just need the services of a welder or a machinist. The other parts are easy. ;)
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks X - I'm still mulling it over. I'll let you know where I land. I noticed that they have a few other odds and ends to offer. Maybe a group buy......?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 pm

I'll take a look at what other stuff they have. At this stage of the game, I pretty much have everything I think I need, but you never know. You can always start on anyway.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 pm

could you not just used an oversized bung and airlock for this? just like a carboy? i'm just trying to think simple and cheap... :oops:

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:39 pm

You could but I kinda like the racking cane and the thermowell.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:43 pm

You can punch holes in rubber stoppers for that stuff I think. I used to punch an extra hole on my stoppers for a temperature probe. I think you could get away with punching three holes in a big stopper.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:14 pm

I have been trying to retire the plastic buckets in favour of fermenting in kegs, and I have looked at this option... I think the most ideal way to do it would be to cut a corny lid sized hole in the top of the keg, and use the larger vessel like a corny keg, but I am not really sure what the process would be to accomplish that. This would definitely make for easier cleaning. You can also get large rubber bungs with a pre-drilled hole to take an airlock or to rig up a blowoff tube.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Imagehmmmmm

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:34 pm

This looks cheap and easy to me. I'm positive that bung can be adapted for everything you need at a fraction of the cost.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Yep, either way would work great. With the conversion kit you'd have the added luxury of being able to move your beer without exposing it to air. I am trying to find a sanke keg to convert as we speak.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Noble Grape in burnside sells their old sugar barrels for $20. I use one sometimes, and because the fittings are airtight, you can move the beer with pressure. It's not the easiest item to clean, but it gets the job done. I think they are 16 gallons...

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:42 pm

second pic you posted X was what i was thinking...just couldn't find a pic. I love the cheap and easy ideas with making beer.. :D

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for the great feedback fellas, lots of good stuff there.

This keg I'm trying to convert will be used primarily as a lagering keg in my temp controlled chest freezer. I'll be moving beer in and out using C02 so I need a setup that will sustain pressure. I may just try to nail down a 2" clamp and cover and take X up on his racking cane/blow off offer.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:28 am

You should be able to hold pressure with that bung if it's tight enough. I pressurize my plastic barrels for transfer, and the racking cane is only held in with a rubber stopper. I can come up with a piece of ss plate and gasket and all the fittings. In a couple days, I'll take a look at one of my cut off sanke tops, and mock something up.

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks X - That would be awesome.

Sounds like you and I will be sharing a couple of appreciation pints soon.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:56 am

Do you have any idea what you were going to use for a temperature probe. The usual thermowell size is 1/4". I can make that kind of a probe and run k type thermocouple wire down it. My only issue is sealing the end in the beer. What I have used in the past is just the twisted wire ends sticking out the end and the tube sealed with silicone. Sterilize with boiling water and you are good to go. Another option is welding, but I have been having a tough time securing a welder lately. Or some jb weld maybe. Think about what you would like to do.

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm not even sure that I need the thermowell.

My freezer temp controller works well using the internal ambient probe so i'm not sure I need to measure the beer termperature in the lagering vessel. I'm thinking the most it could be off would be 1-2 degrees celcius.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Do any of you guys mash in sanke kegs? I wouldn't mind converting this 7.5 gal keg into a MLT. Would it be as simple as cutting the top off, and harvesting the weldless bulkhead/braid from my cooler, or is it a more elaborate conversion than that? Would a 7.5 Gal keg even be big enough for fuller bodied 6.5 gal batches? I have seen several keggles with false bottoms, just trying to explore this option with my spare Sanke.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Hmm, by the sounds it, I will need some specific tools for cutting/drilling this keg. Any of you guys have a plasma cutter? :) I am pretty sure I can just use my weldless bulkhead/SS braid. Would it be advisable to use a false bottom instead? My cooler mash tun holds temp by design, how much of an adventure will it be to maintain temp in a keg MLT?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:37 am

I don't know, as I mash in a cooler. If you need to cut the top off your Sanke, a grinder works like a charm.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 am

JohnnyMac wrote:I'm not even sure that I need the thermowell.

My freezer temp controller works well using the internal ambient probe so i'm not sure I need to measure the beer termperature in the lagering vessel. I'm thinking the most it could be off would be 1-2 degrees celcius.
This is coming together. Got the plate cut and fittings drilled out, but you need to get a clamp before drilling the plate, and then decide how you ant to attach the fittings once you know how much space you have to work with.

moxie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by moxie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm

A number 11 stopper fits the keg perfectly... Here is my cheap option for converting a sanke into a fermentation vessel. I will probably get the conversion kit for the added luxury of moving beer with CO2, but until then, I will just move beer in and out with the ball valve in my boil kettle, and my auto-siphon. The best part is that I can fit a slim sanke in my kegerator with my serving keg to cold ferment/lager.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:22 pm

That is cool.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”