CO2 tank refilling and hydro-testing

A spot to talk general homebrew
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: CO2 tank refilling and hydro-testing

Post by akr71 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:12 pm

After making a few phone calls I think I've found a better solution. Given my location, how I'm going to get the tank refilled is a serious consideration. Air Liquide in Moncton will fill my tank Fridays, but prefer a Thurday drop off and Friday pickup. They have drop off point here in Amherst, but that leaves me without a tank (& without beer) for at least a week as they only make a run to Amherst once a week.

Praxair will lease me a 20# cylinder for ~$30/year + product ($38 for a full tank) and when its empty, I just exchange it (and another $38) for a full one. I don't own the tank, I don't need to worry about hydro-testing. I have a hard time believing I would even use 20# in a year.

Feel free to poke holes in my logic... (and yes, I know I start to lose money after year 2).
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 pm

I like aluminum if you are buying. The Praxair fill is expensive, but you're right about the usage on a 20 lb tank.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Given that you aren't willing to go a week without your keezer (who is?), have you considered buying two 10# tanks? I know it's double the hydro test and purchase price, but Don Brenton's charges around $25, so you're looking at $50 every five years. I see they want $150 for two 10# tanks, plus probably $50 for shipping. You'll also need to fill the tanks upon arrival. I threw this into my handy investment calculator and it says that with 0% interest, for a period of 10 years, assuming you go through 1.5/yr, you're looking at $60/yr or $66 if you use 8% interest compounded monthly.

If my assumption about 1.5 tanks/year is correct, it looks like owning is better, especially since well maintained tanks will last longer than 10 years, so the cost will be lower.

As for using Don Brenton's for cost, I saw them driving back from PEI today, so I assume they do pickups. I'm guessing Air Liquide is comparable in price. I also set the calculator to fill the tanks and get the hydro test immediately before the other than was empty, but that wouldn't have a huge effect on the cost.

As a further note, I understand 10lb will fill 20 kegs without force carbing them. If someone has a more precise figure, please let me know.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info - gives me lots to think about. I found out after work from a friend who works for Heritage Gas said they use Air Liquide and apparently do tank leases too. They just drop their empty tank off at the depot here in Amherst at the beginning of the week and pick up a full tank after the truck does their deliveries.

Two 5# cylinders could work though...
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

moxie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Patrick

Post by moxie » Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 pm

I've got a 10 pounder to fill up sometime, have there been any changes to the drop off protocol?

ratchet
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ratchet » Wed May 11, 2011 7:34 am

not that I know of... they usually fill while you wait.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed May 11, 2011 8:41 am

2 of my 3 visits were "drop-off and come back" instead of "while you wait". Really depends on how busy they are. Hydro testing is always a drop-off affair.

gyorke
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Gordon Yorke

Post by gyorke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 am

There were some questions about process.
I dropped by yesterday. Went to the back of unit 12 (the unit farthest from St Marget's Bay Road) dropped off 5lb tank and picked up invoice. Walked around to front of unit 5, paid $20.70 (tax incl) walked back to unit 12 and picked up filled tank.

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User

Post by benwedge » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:07 pm

gyorke wrote:There were some questions about process.
I dropped by yesterday. Went to the back of unit 12 (the unit farthest from St Marget's Bay Road) dropped off 5lb tank and picked up invoice. Walked around to front of unit 5, paid $20.70 (tax incl) walked back to unit 12 and picked up filled tank.
20.70? I paid 18.98 two weeks ago for my 5#. Cursed store is on to us and raising prices!

Brewnoser
Award Winner 17
Award Winner 17

Post by Brewnoser » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Brenton's has been doing them all in town forever. I used to take mine there 20 years ago when I first got into kegging. Ronnie Brenton is Steve and Mark Haynes' uncle, and when you do the drop off, pick up thing at any Urban Grape, that's where they go.

I just do that now with my 5 pounder. Take it to Quinpool, leave it and get a new, tested and full one immediately. They little they make off it is worth the service.
----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User

Post by benwedge » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:38 pm

Brewnoser wrote:Brenton's has been doing them all in town forever. I used to take mine there 20 years ago when I first got into kegging. Ronnie Brenton is Steve and Mark Haynes' uncle, and when you do the drop off, pick up thing at any Urban Grape, that's where they go.

I just do that now with my 5 pounder. Take it to Quinpool, leave it and get a new, tested and full one immediately. They little they make off it is worth the service.
I'll pay almost anything to live my entire life on the peninsula. Brewnoser is right about the convenience fee being worth it in this case.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:00 pm

$18.98 for 5lbs this morning. There was about 80 brand new aluminum 5/10/20 lbs tanks just waiting to be filled. They'll be at the NG stores for sure.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:10 pm

I have a 20#er kicking around well overdue of a hydro I'm thinking of taking in. Anyone ever have any issues with parts/repairs? If its gonna cost more than the test+fill I'd rather just swap out my 5# at NG
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 pm

I think they either pass or fail, not much to repair. I had one fail, an old steel tank with pitting on the bottom. Scrap metal.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:56 pm

makes sense. I assume they still charged you for the test even though it failed?
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:11 pm

No, they didn't bother even attempting it, failed on the visual. I don't think they would charge you if they scrapped the tank after a bad test.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:30 pm

benwedge wrote:I'll pay almost anything to live my entire life on the peninsula.
Three months in Saint John will do that to a person.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User

Post by benwedge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:50 pm

KMcK wrote:
benwedge wrote:I'll pay almost anything to live my entire life on the peninsula.
Three months in Saint John will do that to a person.
I said that after a week, but yes.

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:38 am

My 20 lb'er 'tank pressure' gauge just took a dive the past few days, almost reading nothing. Do I have much time left or should I just bring it in to Brentons today? I'd hate to waste 1/10 of the tank if I'm still good for a few day?

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:50 am

Think I figured this out on my own..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/co2-tan ... pty-12477/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically at a certain temp (mine is at ~45degF) all the CO2 is vapour below a certain pressure.. (in my case 600 psi). Mine is below that.. so all vapour, off to Brentons I go!

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:58 pm

As mentioned in another thread, might be good to get in the habit of weighing your tank.
Maybe not exact, but here's a rule of thumb for Aluminum tanks:
Al CO2 tanks.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

Anyone know a good spot in Moncton (or area) to get a tank filled? Preferably somewhere that I can get it filled on the spot and don't have to leave it for a few days, I'd like to make one trip do.

:cheers:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:44 pm

Looks like Brunswick Fyr & Safety in Moncton will do fills and hydro. Will report back with a price for anyone else that may be interested.

Jmac00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Jmac00 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:36 pm

jeffsmith wrote: Will report back with a price for anyone else that may be interested.
Yes, i'd be interested in some prices when you do get them.....for fills and hydro please. So far, i think the cheapest/most reasonable prices i've seen in the maritimes are Don Brenton's.....Moncton would be easier for me if they're close to price as i go there more often.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jeffsmith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 pm

Forgot to ask about hydro as I didn't need to have it done on my tank. A fill for 10lb. at Brunswick Fyr is $40 taxes in. Not a bad deal considering Air Liquide wants $50 and change and Praxair prefers contract customers.

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”