Grain Scale

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Grain Scale

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:08 pm

I got tired of weighing out the grain for 10 gallon batches using the small kitchen scale and ordered one of these today. 55lb capacity, accurate, lifetime warranty, free shipping, no taxes and excellent reviews on amazon.com. I'm looking forward to being able to throw a 5 gallon bucket on the scale and weigh out grain in bulk :spilly:

http://www.amazon.ca/UltraShip-55-Digit ... traship+55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Grain Scale

Post by canuck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Looks like a good one Jimmy. I could definitely use something like that myself given the size of my batches.

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Grain Scale

Post by jtmwhyte » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm gonna buy one as well. That's a great deal.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:48 pm

canuck wrote:Looks like a good one Jimmy. I could definitely use something like that myself given the size of my batches.
Shane, they also sell a 75lb one for 5 dollars more. I figured the 55lb one was plenty for anything I'll be doing.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000JQT ... 3BF1IBPST5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Grain Scale

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Looks like a great deal. You can be extra useful during grain pickups too ;)
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:53 pm

Looks like a great scale - you've been nominated to the early crew for the next grain split! :lol:
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Grain Scale

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:14 pm

I picked up a shipping scale a couple of years back. Great investment!

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by AllanMar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:58 pm

I have the Ultraship 55 (it was on for $49 once I think), really like it.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Grain Scale

Post by canuck » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:42 pm

Jimmy wrote:
canuck wrote:Looks like a good one Jimmy. I could definitely use something like that myself given the size of my batches.
Shane, they also sell a 75lb one for 5 dollars more. I figured the 55lb one was plenty for anything I'll be doing.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000JQT ... 3BF1IBPST5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Jimmy, I just ordered one!! :cheers:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm

Scale showed up today. It didn't come with the power supply (which I did read in the description, however, below the description it said it was included). I had a power supply kicking around that worked. It sure makes weighing the base grain a lot more enjoyable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Grain Scale

Post by canuck » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:08 pm

I got my 75KG scale today as well. No power cord included with mine either, but popped in 4 C cell batteries and it works great. I've got a ton of power cords and other shit out in the garage so I'd be very surprised if I don't have one that fits it. This will make weighing out my grain much easier.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by AllanMar » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:11 pm

canuck wrote:I got my 75KG scale today as well. No power cord included with mine either, but popped in 4 C cell batteries and it works great. I've got a ton of power cords and other shit out in the garage so I'd be very surprised if I don't have one that fits it. This will make weighing out my grain much easier.
Yea, mine came without also. I've been using the same set of batteries for over a year though.

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Grain Scale

Post by LiverDance » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:29 am

What's the adjustment for the auto shut off on these? Can you turn it completely off?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Grain Scale

Post by McGruff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:36 am

Why was it tax free? Amazon.ca not .com.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:07 am

McGruff wrote:Why was it tax free? Amazon.ca not .com.
I have no idea. I know it's common to get items tax free on Amazon.com, however, this was ordered from .ca.

I just checked, and it's still available tax free on Amazon.ca.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:08 am

LiverDance wrote:What's the adjustment for the auto shut off on these? Can you turn it completely off?
Not sure. Haven't needed to adjust it.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Scale

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Just FYI,

These are the ones I use, and they both work great:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGA-DIGITAL-PO ... 0805147167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAGA-360-LB-X-0 ... 1134654761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Grain Scale

Post by mcgster » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:22 pm

I have been using that scale for almost two years now Jimmy, i bought it when i got back into brewing and it has been a work horse for sure.

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by mstead » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:55 am

What's the minimum weight the scale will register? Is it any good at weighing out hops by the oz?

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Grain Scale

Post by LiverDance » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:24 am

mstead wrote:What's the minimum weight the scale will register? Is it any good at weighing out hops by the oz?
it probably would be the kg setting is to 3 decimal places
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Grain Scale

Post by bluenose » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 am

jtmwhyte wrote:I'm gonna buy one as well. That's a great deal.
did you ever end up buying this? If not maybe we can combine forces
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Grain Scale

Post by bluenose » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:36 am

mstead wrote:What's the minimum weight the scale will register? Is it any good at weighing out hops by the oz?
looking at the picture, if measuring 0-2 lbs, then it's 0.1 oz accuracy, almost precise enough for weed
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Grain Scale

Post by jtmwhyte » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:27 pm

bluenose wrote:
jtmwhyte wrote:I'm gonna buy one as well. That's a great deal.
did you ever end up buying this? If not maybe we can combine forces
I got sidetracked on it but I think I'd be willing to split in one
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: Grain Scale

Post by mikeorr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:18 am

I just ordered the Ultraship 75 online (not from Amazon though, it wasn't on sale) for $51.29 incl taxes/shipping.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Grain Scale

Post by Keith » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:20 am

Where did you purchase it from Mike? I'm looking for a upgrade myself. It's a PITA weighing out 5-6lbs at a time.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests