Page 1 of 1

Locally grown ingredients? (hops, barley, wheat, maltsters?)

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:02 pm
by macdonaldtomw
I'm wondering if anybody has any idea about where I can find some locally grown ingredients.

I know that there is hops that are grown here in Nova Scotia that have been used in some of Nash's brews down at the H&T, where can I get my hands on some?

On a more of a long-shot, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any local producers of canadian 2-row, marris otter, or german pilsner barley... or any other base malt barley for that matter!

I've been told that the nearest maltster is located in Montreal... is this true? Does that mean that if I want to get my own barley malted I have to send it to MTL?

-Tom

Re: Locally grown ingredients? (hops, barley, wheat, maltste

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 pm
by akr71
When we buy from North Country Malts, we can specify the type of 2-Row. I took (as did others) the 'Maritime 2Row' - grown here, but not malted here, but thats good enough for local to me.

Re: Locally grown ingredients? (hops, barley, wheat, maltste

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 pm
by maltster
You can always malt it yourself. I've done some malting with pretty good success and I seem to be getting higher conversion rates in the later batches. There are some pictures in the thread listed below.

http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... ?f=3&t=379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Locally grown ingredients? (hops, barley, wheat, maltste

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 am
by mr x
Image
http://www.amazon.ca/Growing-Your-Own-H ... QZS4MWZ0C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Locally grown ingredients? (hops, barley, wheat, maltste

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm
by KMcK
I have Moxie's gardening book. Maybe he'll allow me to pass it on to you next.

Image

http://www.amazon.ca/Homebrewers-Garden ... pd_sim_b_1