Page 1 of 1

Could this be a concern?

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 pm
by GuingesRock
I’m still reading Randy Mosher’s new book and on page 148 he talks about gas flames on the bottom of SS pots causing problems. He says that stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat and that where the flame hits the bottom of the pot you get small areas of very high temperature. Wort exposed to these high temperatures produces reductones. He thinks this is holding homebrewers back. The solution, if you have that setup is to have a stainless pot with an aluminum sandwich in the base (like Bayou classic), or to put a steel plate under the pot, in order to diffuse the heat and spread it evenly across the bottom of the pot.

Also might be something to consider with density of electric elements.

Could also be nonsense of course. Like all these type of books, they don't seem to feel the need to include references to the relevant research. He says instead; "Modern brewing science has come to the realization that the intense heating of wort that you get from a flame under a thin vessel of stainless steel is bad for the beer" etc. etc.

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:14 pm
by bluenose
RDWHAHB
:cheers:

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:24 pm
by RossBee
bluenose wrote:RDWHAHB
:cheers:
??

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:25 pm
by bluenose
RossBee wrote:
bluenose wrote:RDWHAHB
:cheers:
??
Relax. Don't Worry. Have A Home Brew

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:26 pm
by dean2k
Just stop reading the book. Problem solved.

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:27 pm
by RossBee
bluenose wrote:
RossBee wrote:
bluenose wrote:RDWHAHB
:cheers:
??
Relax. Don't Worry. Have A Home Brew

This.

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 pm
by GuingesRock
bluenose wrote:RDWHAHB
:cheers:
How can I relax and enjoy a pint when there could be reductones in it causing oxidation.

I Know! RDWH2HB (2 homebrews)

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 pm
by Keith
Just add some crystal and blame the oxidation on that lol

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 pm
by GuingesRock
There's reductones in that crystal. I'm sure of it.

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:20 pm
by GasMD30
Keith wrote:Just add some crystal and blame the oxidation on that lol
:stupid:

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:15 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
No

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:56 am
by Ruby
What type of pot do you have, Mark?

Should only really be an issue for propane users with stock pots or turkey fryers, surely?

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:36 am
by GuingesRock
Ruby wrote:What type of pot do you have, Mark?

Should only really be an issue for propane users with stock pots or turkey fryers, surely?
My boil pot is a Bayou classic (aluminum layer in the base) which I heat on a ceramic hotplate in combination with a boil coil. So I don't think I have to worry really. I thought it was interesting, but it might be like the C40 causing oxidation thing. I have a habit of digging up stuff like this.

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:44 am
by Ruby
It is interesting. Thankfully my beer making still hasn't got that deep into the science side. I'm still a lumberjack hacking at the tree of beer with a dull axe, while you are sanding the finely tuned sculpture with the smoothest grit sandpaper.

I don't think I could taste oxidation if I was drinking out of a cardboard box! But attention to detail is how the best beer is made!

Re: Could this be a concern?

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 pm
by GuingesRock
Further discussion here in this kettle thread: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 06#p135858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;