BrewTube Air Keg System

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
thehollowhead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am
Name: John
Location: Halifax

BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by thehollowhead » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:47 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/37 ... keg-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Friend of mine shared this Kickstarter her father-in-law started. It's a PVC keg system that uses pressurized room air (from something as simple as a bicycle pump) instead of a C02 set up.

As someone without a car, I love the idea of nixing the C02, but I'm still pretty new to kegging so the science of how it works/what the difference is, is a bit beyond me. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
Name: Bruce Mailman
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by the-mailman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 am

Interesting, maybe useful for taking beer to a party. I use CO2 to carb my beer in the keg and it doesn't look like this can do that but I guess that's the point, to eliminate CO2. Carbing with yeast in the container might work but would make transporting hard without disturbing the sediment. Also, some pvc is O2 permeable and is known to leach undesired chemicals, both bad for beer. Have to wait and see how it turns out.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by bluenose » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:10 pm

bicycle pump air is gross :eeew:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:44 pm

the-mailman wrote:Interesting, maybe useful for taking beer to a party. I use CO2 to carb my beer in the keg and it doesn't look like this can do that but I guess that's the point, to eliminate CO2. Carbing with yeast in the container might work but would make transporting hard without disturbing the sediment. Also, some pvc is O2 permeable and is known to leach undesired chemicals, both bad for beer. Have to wait and see how it turns out.
Maybe instead of homebrewers, they should be looking at breweries that rent kegs with the little handpump on top. This wouldn't ruin the beer with oxygen and it would stay carbonated for as long as the customer wants to keep it. Having to drink the whole keg in a short period of time was always what kept us from getting kegs when I was younger.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by AllanMar » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:32 pm

bluenose wrote:bicycle pump air is gross :eeew:
Looks like the air doesn't touch your beer. It's a "zero headspace" setup. Like a syringe/plunger setup but any compressed air is pushing the plunger.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Great idea. But I'd rather just get a small co2 dispenser for my keg
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:33 pm

I like the idea, just disagree with some of their statements on the site with respect to naturally carbed beer being superior, and naturally carbed has less chance of off flavours. I do both keg conditioning and force carb, and don't notice any significant difference.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
thehollowhead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am
Name: John
Location: Halifax

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by thehollowhead » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:I like the idea, just disagree with some of their statements on the site with respect to naturally carbed beer being superior, and naturally carbed has less chance of off flavours. I do both keg conditioning and force carb, and don't notice any significant difference.
Like I said, I'm still pretty new at kegging, I've done five batches in them so far, but the C02 fiddling is my easily the least enjoyable part for me.

If I start keg conditioning, will I only need the C02 for sealing and dispensing? I'm assuming my tank would last longer between fills?

User avatar
thehollowhead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 am
Name: John
Location: Halifax

Re: BrewTube Air Keg System

Post by thehollowhead » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Celiacbrew wrote: Maybe instead of homebrewers, they should be looking at breweries that rent kegs with the little handpump on top. This wouldn't ruin the beer with oxygen and it would stay carbonated for as long as the customer wants to keep it. Having to drink the whole keg in a short period of time was always what kept us from getting kegs when I was younger.
Heh, we had a nearby brewery that sold 9L party pigs, a mini-keg thing with an inflatable bladder inside. We usually filled one or two of those for the same reason.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests