Page 1 of 2
Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm
by sleepyjamie
Has anyone here made any decent imperial pilsner recipies? Looking to brew one of these in the near future. Something in the 8-10% range.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:51 pm
by jeffsmith
I haven't made it myself, but the Imperial Pilsner recipe from Sam Caligione's Extreme Brewing has been on my "to brew" list for a while. Mind you it's an extract recipe. If you're interested, I can probably post it here.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:53 pm
by mr x
IIRC, JohnnyMac was brewing one up. Might want to PM him.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 pm
by LiverDance
If you like the Picaroons Feels good imperial pils, the brewer posts his brewlog which contains all the ingredients, just no the percentages.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:05 pm
by mr x
Yeah, that's actually not been a bad beer the 3 or 4 times I've tried it.
http://www.rogue.com/beers/morimoto-pilsner.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:01 pm
by JohnnyMac
Here's the one I brewed about 3 weeks ago. Just transferred to the secondary...
Style: Imperial Czech Pilsner
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.074 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
17 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 68.27 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Caramel Pilsen (MFB) (10.0 SRM) Grain 15.06 %
3 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.05 %
14.4 oz Acidulated (Weyermann) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3.61 %
8.00 oz Saaz [3.30 %] (75 min) Hops 45.3 IBU
2.00 oz Saaz [3.30 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
3.00 oz Saaz [3.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Czech Pilsner Lager (Wyeast Labs #2278) [SYeast-Lager
Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 24.90 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 7.72 gal of water at 161.5 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:59 pm
by sleepyjamie
let me know how she turns out.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm
by JohnnyMac
JohnnyMac wrote:----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Saccharification Add 7.72 gal of water at 161.5 F 150.0 F
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F
Forgot to mention that I did a protein rest at 135 degrees for 30 min then slowly stepped (over 40 min) the temp up to 150 degrees for a 45min rest.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:24 am
by mr x
Tastes great.

Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 pm
by derek
mr x wrote:Tastes great.

Less filling?
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:38 pm
by mr x
Not quite, lol. I think I may brew this myself come winter, but I'm cutting the carapils down to to around 5%.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm
by mr x
Time to resurrect this thread. I need to do something with my lager yeast while the temperature's still good. I think this may be a good idea...
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:47 pm
by sleepyjamie
mr x wrote:Time to resurrect this thread. I need to do something with my lager yeast while the temperature's still good. I think this may be a good idea...
let me know how she goes.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:51 pm
by mr x
I think I'll drop in 5-10% corn, and not sure about the hops yet. Something smooth for bittering, and then load up with Saaz/Hallertau from 30 minutes - flameout...maybe...
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:10 pm
by sleepyjamie
mr x wrote:I think I'll drop in 5-10% corn, and not sure about the hops yet. Something smooth for bittering, and then load up with Saaz/Hallertau from 30 minutes - flameout...maybe...
would magnum work?
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 pm
by mr x
top of the list

Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm
by sleepyjamie
would be interested in seeing the recipe when you are done.
ive been wanting to make an imperial pilsner for a while.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:20 pm
by mr x
28.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 90.3 %
3.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 9.7 %
2.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 40.4 IBUs
need to work on the rest of the hopping, which will be substantail.

Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 am
by mr x
28.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 90.3 %
3.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 9.7 %
2.25 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 45.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 4 6.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 6.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 2.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 1.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.2 IBUs
1.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [6.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
73 ibu
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:13 pm
by mr x
Just having my first Propeller Imperial Pilsner. I like mine better. Too much dark malt in Propeller for me. Not bad, just was expecting a pilsner malt profile.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 pm
by Jayme
Is that a new beer for them? I think I've seen/tried the pilsner before, just not an Imperial. When the cold weather comes back, I really want to try doing a popcorn pilsner - maybe make it Imperial as well.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
i was thinking maybe he was referring to picaroon's imperial pilsner - i havent heard anything about propeller having one either
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:37 pm
by Jayme
That would make sense. Someone told me once the Picaroon's version is actually an ale, not sure if that's true. They had it 2 years ago at Sappyfest and I wasn't the biggest fan.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:39 pm
by mr x
I'm on drugs. it was the double ipa. carry on.
Re: Imperial Pilsner recipies?
Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 pm
by Jayme
Hahaha that's quite funny.