New Chiller

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

New Chiller

Post by Keith » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm on the fence but am leaning towards the counter flow. Looking for some opinions.
As you know I'm soon going to be starting 1 barrel batches. Although I have a 50' 1/2 inch immersion chiller (going to try it), I'm quite confident I'm going to need to upgrade.

Presently my setup consists of a 44 gallon pot, Inline Chugger Pump, and 50' Immersion chiller. Pot is setup to whirlpool. I like the idea of the plate chiller. Smaller, chills quick, almost right to the fermenter. Where as the counter flow I can recirculate til my desired temp, then pump right to fermenter, no clogging.
I tend to brew with a lot of pellet hops so this is my primary concern.

Recommendations? Suggestions?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

New Chiller

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:46 pm

I do 10 gallon batches with lots of hops and haven't clogged my plate chiller in the nearly 3 years I've had it.

I'd say get the largest plate chiller you can afford and just be sure to keep it clean. Always back flush with hot PBW and every couple batches I bake it in the oven and then back flush to make sure there's no nasties left in it.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: New Chiller

Post by Keith » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:51 pm

jeffsmith wrote:I do 10 gallon batches with lots of hops and haven't clogged my plate chiller in the nearly 3 years I've had it.

I'd say get the largest plate chiller you can afford and just be sure to keep it clean. Always back flush with hot PBW and every couple batches I bake it in the oven and then back flush to make sure there's no nasties left in it.
How often would you drop 3lbs of hops in a 10 gallon batch? What do you have to block some of the hops or methods to reduce hop intake into the chiller?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: New Chiller

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Definitely not putting 3lbs of hops in a batch but routinely 1-2lbs. Nothing to block hops going into the chiller. Used to have a stainless mesh pancake filter but went to a side pickup tube and whirlpooling after the boil. A small amount of hop matter makes it through, but very little.

User avatar
Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Chiller

Post by Keggermeister » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:18 pm

+2 on plate filter. dudadiesel.com sells em cheap. If you have the cash, buy a big one, or do a double circuit with two 30 plate ones.
I have the 30 plate for 15G and it is fine. I have a stainless mesh false bottom to filter hops and trub.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: New Chiller

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 am

If you don't want the upfront cost, just turn your 50' immersion into a 50' counter flow. If you slow down the drain you can use it exactly the same as a plate chiller, may be slightly less water efficient but couldn't clog it.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: New Chiller

Post by Keith » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:31 am

Have a 40' counter flow? (would need to cut it back), any risk with using a coil this long if I recirculate?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest