First go at a sour
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
First go at a sour
Hey all,
So I've got 10gallons of beer that I want to rack off 1 gallon and try to sour it. Everything I've read suggests brett and oak - anyone have experience or recommendations?
So I've got 10gallons of beer that I want to rack off 1 gallon and try to sour it. Everything I've read suggests brett and oak - anyone have experience or recommendations?
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
Re: First go at a sour
To correct - A "wild" ale - there's already 3% acid malt in the grain bill
- CartoonCod
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 861
- Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
- Name: Adam Comeau
- Location: Halifax
Re: First go at a sour
Brett won't do much for souring (unless it has access to oxygen then it could make some vinegar), but it will provide lots of interesting character. If you're looking for a funky brett character I suggest pitching low if your beer has already been through a primary fermentation.
Are you looking to get more sour character than what your acid malt is giving you? If so you will need to pitch some other organisms (Lacto or Pedio). You could use a blend of all three by getting a white labs or wyeast pack. It will be tricky to sour with only lacto if your beer has already fermented and if there are even low levels of IBU, you might need the blend or just pedio.
Oak won't do anything for souring, but it will provide an oak character and a substrate for the yeast and bacteria to grow on.
Can you provide some details on the type of beer and more details on what your trying to get at?
Are you looking to get more sour character than what your acid malt is giving you? If so you will need to pitch some other organisms (Lacto or Pedio). You could use a blend of all three by getting a white labs or wyeast pack. It will be tricky to sour with only lacto if your beer has already fermented and if there are even low levels of IBU, you might need the blend or just pedio.
Oak won't do anything for souring, but it will provide an oak character and a substrate for the yeast and bacteria to grow on.
Can you provide some details on the type of beer and more details on what your trying to get at?
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: First go at a sour
Lots of experience here, but to give useful advice, I've got a couple of questions:
Can you tell us what your base beer is?
What are you looking for in the "wild" beer: acidity, funkiness, bit of both?
Are you looking to reproduce a style or specific beer, that'll help too.
The characteristics you want could be from different yeasts/bacteria, hence the questions.
Can you tell us what your base beer is?
What are you looking for in the "wild" beer: acidity, funkiness, bit of both?
Are you looking to reproduce a style or specific beer, that'll help too.
The characteristics you want could be from different yeasts/bacteria, hence the questions.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: First go at a sour
I doubt you will taste any "sourness" from just 3% acid maltbandarker wrote:To correct - A "wild" ale - there's already 3% acid malt in the grain bill
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: First go at a sour
Tricky if the wort is already fermented. What are the IBUs? Lot of bugs are sensitive to higher hop levels. If the wort is not fermented yet and has low IBUs, I would just pitch roselare blend from wyeast, great bug blend.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
Re: First go at a sour
Sorry guys it sounds like I haven't provided enough info Andorra maybe too late already.
The acid malt was to keep a low pH. It's a Belgian wit targeted at 10-20 ibu. 50% pale malt, 40 flaked eheat, 7 oats 3 acid malt. OG was 1042
I wasn't sure whether the funky and sour could be done after primary (which is now done - 7 days into it)
I was hoping to try to impart some funk and sourness into it but not at all overwhelming. Just present. I've also read that fruit skins generally have Brett in some amount on them, but how does the beer keep from spoiling if left on fresh fruit for months?
The acid malt was to keep a low pH. It's a Belgian wit targeted at 10-20 ibu. 50% pale malt, 40 flaked eheat, 7 oats 3 acid malt. OG was 1042
I wasn't sure whether the funky and sour could be done after primary (which is now done - 7 days into it)
I was hoping to try to impart some funk and sourness into it but not at all overwhelming. Just present. I've also read that fruit skins generally have Brett in some amount on them, but how does the beer keep from spoiling if left on fresh fruit for months?
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
Re: First go at a sour
After a bit of reading, it seems I'm not too far gone and could rack into a corny keg with brett/lacto/Pedio or some combination thereof and let age for several months. Good thing I picked up a spare corny keg yesterday!
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
Re: First go at a sour
Does anywhere have brett yeasts that are open today?
- Woody
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 1190
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
- Name: Derek
- Location: Truro, NS
Re: First go at a sour
Everwood is closed today as you probably know but you could give Dave a call and see if he is around to pickup. I think he has some in stock. Noble Grape I believe has to special-order them in but you could call in the off chance.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests