yeast question
- joe_r_harvie
- Registered User

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
- Name: Joe Harvie
- Location: Middle River, Cape Breton
yeast question
Hi, I just kegged a batch of bitter and it had a strange smell and slightly sour taste. Quite sure it got contaminated somewhere between the primary and keg. I pitched with ringwood which was slow to swell and took 24 hours before there was a good krausen. Unaware of possible contamination I cultured and reused the yeast twice since the bitter... Is there hope for my last two batches and my yeast culture? - Joe
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: yeast question
I'm not sure how you cultured it but you may want to look into washing it with Chlorine Dioxide. If you have a wild yeast infection though I don't think that'll do much.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- joe_r_harvie
- Registered User

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
- Name: Joe Harvie
- Location: Middle River, Cape Breton
Re: yeast question
Thanks,
I had a glass of the bitter today and it is contaminated - red wine vinegar/sour taste. I racked the brown I made this weekend with the same yeast and it is right on. My guess is a wild yeast contamination got ahead of my ringwood in the bitter, and now the culture I have is a mix of mostly ringwood and a bit of the wild yeast. My taste buds aren't good enough to detect the wild yeast in the brown ale so I think my culture is okay for future use. Thanks for the response. - Joe
I had a glass of the bitter today and it is contaminated - red wine vinegar/sour taste. I racked the brown I made this weekend with the same yeast and it is right on. My guess is a wild yeast contamination got ahead of my ringwood in the bitter, and now the culture I have is a mix of mostly ringwood and a bit of the wild yeast. My taste buds aren't good enough to detect the wild yeast in the brown ale so I think my culture is okay for future use. Thanks for the response. - Joe
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests