Cleaning Tap Lines

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:52 am

What's your process for cleaning tap lines? I had been using a 2L pop bottle with a carbonator cap..

1) Fill the bottle with PBW & hot water, and force it through the tap lines
2) Fill the bottle with hot water, and rinse lines
3) Fill the bottle with starsan and sanitize lines

Since getting the Marks Keg Washer, I've been using it to clean my lines (makes life a whole lot easier). You could easily accomplish the same thing with a cheap pond pump, 4 feet of hose, and a ball lock post & short dip tube.

Required Equipment:
-Small pond pump
-Hose barb to screw into pond pump
-Ball lock liquid out post
-Ball lock gas in dip tube
-4' of tubing (ID same as the dip tube)
-Bucket/container to act as liquid reservoir

I follow the same steps (PBW, water, then Starsan), but just let it recirculate for a bit while doing something else. The ball lock post just inserts into your liquid out lines of your kegerator, then open your tap and turn the pump on.

Below is a picture of the setup:

Image

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Keith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 am

Able to show the ball lock piece up close?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 am

I'm new to kegging, but I've found it easiest to just hook a keg up with the desired cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing product to the CO2 and run it through the lines. I do this whenever I clean my kegs. Am I missing something?

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Keith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:31 am

darciandjenn wrote:I'm new to kegging, but I've found it easiest to just hook a keg up with the desired cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing product to the CO2 and run it through the lines. I do this whenever I clean my kegs. Am I missing something?
The above methods just free up your kegs and allows you to recirculate with zero effort.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:08 pm

Fair enough! Thanks :)

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:16 pm

darciandjenn wrote:I'm new to kegging, but I've found it easiest to just hook a keg up with the desired cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing product to the CO2 and run it through the lines. I do this whenever I clean my kegs. Am I missing something?
That works, but uses CO2. By using a pump, you're able to save money on CO2, and you're also able to recirculate for a longer time (which could mean a more effective cleaning job).

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by mthibodeau » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 pm

one other way, instead of the ball lock post would be to put a mfl fitting on the end of your lines (both the liquid lind in the kegerator and on the marks keg washer). This would allow you to hook to mfl based connectors for washing the keg, and then using a mfl to mfl adapter, http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/1_4_MFL_ ... dapter.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, you could hook the two lines together
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by RubberToe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:11 pm

I made the top spear of my keg washer so I could add and switch attachments. I have: rotating CIP ball, ball lock gas, ball lock liquid posts, etc. I use it to recirculate PBW, etc through my lines.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:26 pm

Method one for me:

I use a small tub on top of my kegerator with a couple of litres of hot 5-star liquid line cleaner. I have a small pond pump that I connect direct to the Perlick with 1/2" silicon hose - fits perfect over the end. I back off the ball lock connector back screw on my beer line and drop that into the tub, secured with a clamp. I recirc the hot line cleaner for 10-15 minutes, repeat with clear water and then push through some Star San. Don't forget to tighten up the ball lock connector before you put it back on!

PBW works also, but not as great as the line cleaner.

I'll take a picture next cleaning day.


Edit:
Parts needed:
-one pond pump
-18" of 1/2" silicone tubing
Last edited by LeafMan66_67 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:30 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:Method one for me:

I use a small tub on top of my kegerator with a couple of litres of hot 5-star liquid line cleaner. I have a small pond pump that I connect direct to the Perlick with 1/2" silicon hose - fits perfect over the end. I back off the ball lock connector back screw on my beer line and drop that into the tub, secured with a clamp. I recirc the hot line cleaner for 10-15 minutes, repeat with clear water and then push through some Star San. Don't forget to tighten up the ball lock connector before you put it back on!

PBW works also, but not as great as the line cleaner.

I'll take a picture next cleaning day.
I used that same method on one of my previous line cleaning days, but switched because the hose barb I have for the pump is too small for the 1/2 tubing. Recirculating in the opposite direction of the flow of beer is probably beneficial.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Funny, I just stumbled across this:

http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2015/08/ma ... -pump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Keith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:37 pm

That's what I need to get for my keg washer. Anyone know if the one Dave sells has the barb?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
Name: Bruce Mailman
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by the-mailman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Yes he does. Picture on web site just doesn't show it.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Keith » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:07 pm

I know what I'm getting next :) Frig that will make cleaning those lines so much easier using the keg washer. Hands down one of my best investments yet.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

bandarker
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
Name: wee

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by bandarker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Normally I run PBW through (while cleaning the keg) and let that sit in there for a while. Normally I'll flush with star San and then run beer through it at the end. Haven't had any problems so far, may be overkill?

User avatar
Albert
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm
Name: Al.M.
Location: NB

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Albert » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:28 pm

image.jpg
Picked up a fountain pump at PA and hooked up to a keg post, works mint! Thanks for the idea fellas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
on Tap
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Same pump I have.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by mthibodeau » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:52 pm

How much was the pump if you don't mind my asking?
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
Albert
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm
Name: Al.M.
Location: NB

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Albert » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:00 pm

It just went off sale..snagged it for $30, reg $60.
on Tap
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...

CoolBeans
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:09 pm
Name: Shawn

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by CoolBeans » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 pm

I might try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YK1-7mHk48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I need to get a pin lock liquid post. Any ideas where to get one? Seems like most shops only sell ball lock posts.

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Cleaning Tap Lines

Post by Jayme » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm

Jimmy wrote:
darciandjenn wrote:I'm new to kegging, but I've found it easiest to just hook a keg up with the desired cleaning/rinsing/sanitizing product to the CO2 and run it through the lines. I do this whenever I clean my kegs. Am I missing something?
That works, but uses CO2. By using a pump, you're able to save money on CO2, and you're also able to recirculate for a longer time (which could mean a more effective cleaning job).
I do this but with an air compressor to not waste CO2. I've found a full keg of PWB to be more than enough to clean a line without the need to recirculate. Could also just run it through twice... Anyway I like doing it this way because I did not have to buy anything.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests