How To Make Good Beer?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
How To Make Good Beer?
That's the idea of these forums ...sharing knowledge and discussing possible ways to brew better beers. It's all about the beer, which in turn is all about good brewing practises and imagination.
You have to drink it too, then you learn what you like and you can build on that. A beer loving spouse and or friends can help with this, but don’t forget that a camel was a horse designed by a committee. Pay attention to style limitations, and within those limitations let your imagination run wild.
Everyone has a different take on this, and a different definition of what good beer is. That’s mine, or at least what I came up with for now.
You have to drink it too, then you learn what you like and you can build on that. A beer loving spouse and or friends can help with this, but don’t forget that a camel was a horse designed by a committee. Pay attention to style limitations, and within those limitations let your imagination run wild.
Everyone has a different take on this, and a different definition of what good beer is. That’s mine, or at least what I came up with for now.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Thanks RossBee
Maybe my OP sounds a bit like I think I know it all, but I don't. I was looking for a group discussion. One of those forum debates that leads to a better understanding for me.
I'll say something controversial and stir things up maybe. There's four important aspects to advancing craft beer that I can think of ...
One is brewing techniques and practises. Improving those is a big benefit. Communities such as this one encourage and support brewers new and old. Brewers, both amateur and professional, working together and supporting each other.
Then there's creative beer design. Experiencing different ingredients and brewing methods, studying beer and beer styles and creating new beers, and not just working through the pages of BCS.
Then there's beer judging. Providing feedback and support for the above. Another essential part of the craft beer movement.
Finally the drinkers who drink and enjoy the end product. Without the drinkers, and their enjoyment and pleasure they get from the beer, none of this would be worthwhile.
Maybe my OP sounds a bit like I think I know it all, but I don't. I was looking for a group discussion. One of those forum debates that leads to a better understanding for me.
I'll say something controversial and stir things up maybe. There's four important aspects to advancing craft beer that I can think of ...
One is brewing techniques and practises. Improving those is a big benefit. Communities such as this one encourage and support brewers new and old. Brewers, both amateur and professional, working together and supporting each other.
Then there's creative beer design. Experiencing different ingredients and brewing methods, studying beer and beer styles and creating new beers, and not just working through the pages of BCS.
Then there's beer judging. Providing feedback and support for the above. Another essential part of the craft beer movement.
Finally the drinkers who drink and enjoy the end product. Without the drinkers, and their enjoyment and pleasure they get from the beer, none of this would be worthwhile.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- evanisnor
- Verified User

- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
- Name: Evan Isnor
- Location: Windsor
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
I've only been brewing for just over a year but I've learned a few things that seem to have a noticeable affect on homebrew quality. Regarding the process of making good beer:
1. Find a process that suits the equipment you have. Consistency is more important than gear.
2. Sanitation
3. Fermentation temperature control
4. Practice. Keep doing it.
I've read that it's not uncommon for people to win competitions with very modest processes and equipment, but the one thing that usually makes beer good enough during competition is temperature control during fermentation.
*PS: welcome back
1. Find a process that suits the equipment you have. Consistency is more important than gear.
2. Sanitation
3. Fermentation temperature control
4. Practice. Keep doing it.
I've read that it's not uncommon for people to win competitions with very modest processes and equipment, but the one thing that usually makes beer good enough during competition is temperature control during fermentation.
*PS: welcome back
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Thanks Evan. 
Yes! basic equipment, and basic sanitation and fermentation temperature control.
I'm not too concerned with consistency, as don't often brew the same beer twice ...what is it with consistency? It's more important for commercial brewers isn't it?
Yes! basic equipment, and basic sanitation and fermentation temperature control.
I'm not too concerned with consistency, as don't often brew the same beer twice ...what is it with consistency? It's more important for commercial brewers isn't it?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Consistency in process is definitely important. Makes it easier to note deviations that may have made a beer better, or worse than the last time you made it or a similar recipe.GuingesRock wrote:I'm not too concerned with consistency, as don't often brew the same beer twice ...what is it with consistency? It's more important for commercial brewers isn't it?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
I don't think I understand what consistency is. I was thinking it was being able to make the same beer exactly the same time and time again. If recording, measuring and record keeping is included in that then I agree. But all the same, it might be possible to consistently make the same beer without that, if you were using the same ingredients and had the same environmental conditions. That in itself is an impossibility as batches of grain, hops etc. are different, a few specs of wild yeast might flutter in etc.. There are so many variables out of a brewers control.jeffsmith wrote:Consistency in process is definitely important. Makes it easier to note deviations that may have made a beer better, or worse than the last time you made it or a similar recipe.GuingesRock wrote:I'm not too concerned with consistency, as don't often brew the same beer twice ...what is it with consistency? It's more important for commercial brewers isn't it?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Consistency is important to me, as it's required to be able to determine the effect of making a change from batch to batch. If you can't repeat a beer, how do you know the effect of changing the recipe, process, water profile, etc.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Jimmy wrote:Consistency is important to me, as it's required to be able to determine the effect of making a change from batch to batch. If you can't repeat a beer, how do you know the effect of changing the recipe, process, water profile, etc.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
But what's the definition of consistency? I think we are talking about different things. Is it pumping out Bud Light, exactly the same, batch after batch?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Sure. Its also being able to change one part of your brew (ie. hop schedule?) and know that's what changed the final product.GuingesRock wrote:What's the definition of consistency? I think we are talking about different things. Is it pumping out Bud Light, exactly the same, batch after batch?
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Welcome back Mark!!! Looking good on the BOTY circuit!GuingesRock wrote:I don't think I understand what consistency is. I was thinking it was being able to make the same beer exactly the same time and time again. If recording, measuring and record keeping is included in that then I agree. But all the same, it might be possible to consistently make the same beer without that, if you were using the same ingredients and had the same environmental conditions. That in itself is an impossibility as batches of grain, hops etc. are different, a few specs of wild yeast might flutter in etc.. There are so many variables out of a brewers control.jeffsmith wrote:Consistency in process is definitely important. Makes it easier to note deviations that may have made a beer better, or worse than the last time you made it or a similar recipe.GuingesRock wrote:I'm not too concerned with consistency, as don't often brew the same beer twice ...what is it with consistency? It's more important for commercial brewers isn't it?
I think most, if not all Brewers aim for consistency, but also improvement! Like using the same fermenting vessel (for you it's the kettle, still?) or sticking to a lagering schedule that works for them. Consistency lets you adjust variables you can control. I do agree though that there are many variables still out of our control, but again so many we can control.
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
I'm getting it, slowlyAllanMar wrote:Sure. Its also being able to change one part of your brew (ie. hop schedule?) and know that's what changed the final product.GuingesRock wrote:What's the definition of consistency? I think we are talking about different things. Is it pumping out Bud Light, exactly the same, batch after batch?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
ThanksGasMD30 wrote:
Welcome back Mark!!! Looking good on the BOTY circuit!
I think most, if not all Brewers aim for consistency, but also improvement! Like using the same fermenting vessel (for you it's the kettle, still?) or sticking to a lagering schedule that works for them. Consistency lets you adjust variables you can control. I do agree though that there are many variables still out of our control, but again so many we can control.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Ladd
- Verified User

- Posts: 245
- Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm
- Name: Matt
- Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Mark! Welcome back man, you were well missed! Hope you had a great summer! Congrats on all the accolades you've accumulated!GuingesRock wrote:But what's the definition of consistency? I think we are talking about different things. Is it pumping out Bud Light, exactly the same, batch after batch?
I am like you and don't often brew a beer more than once or twice. In that regard, I can completely understand your comment about not caring about consistency. For example I make an English pale ale a couple times a year. Maybe I sub a hop or malt in it each time I brew it just because I didn't feel like running out to the home brew shop to get exactly what I used last time. It's not exactly the same beer every time and I really don't care, its close enough and I know I'll still really enjoy the final product.
I more think of consistency like Jeff mentioned: process consistency. Meaning can I design a recipe and then hit all the numbers I want when brewing it? To do this I need consistency in the processes; accurately and consistently being able to measure and weigh ingredients, hitting and controlling temperatures and even having a great understanding my system (boil off rate, losses to dead space, hop material/trub in the fermentor etc.). Being able to brew on my system in a consistent manor will allow me to know with confidence that I can produce the beer I have spent so much time designing.
In the end does it really matter if I am off by a couple of gravity points or a few IBU's here or there? Probably not. Will I lose any sleep over it? Absolutely not. Will I still have great beer? Yes I will.
You are also right about ingredient consistency. Batches of malt, hops and even your water (unless buying RO or stripping it yourself as different times of year can have an impact on your water profile) are outside of our control, so in essence, unless you are blending your batches like the big guys to minimize that effect, it will never be perfectly consistent.
Just my two cents.
Matt
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Call it repeatability, call it consistency, call it what you want, it's all about the passion of creation. Never made a beer yet that I didn't like, some more than others; it's a learning process. We'd all be drinking Bud Light if we were not on a quest for a better mouse trap.
Why brew beer I can buy?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Thanks, I appreciate it. I did have a good summer thanks and hope you did too. Just had 2 weeks off with my family and my mother came over from England. She's so much fun.Ladd wrote:Mark! Welcome back man, you were well missed! Hope you had a great summer! Congrats on all the accolades you've accumulated!GuingesRock wrote:But what's the definition of consistency? I think we are talking about different things. Is it pumping out Bud Light, exactly the same, batch after batch?![]()
I am like you and don't often brew a beer more than once or twice. In that regard, I can completely understand your comment about not caring about consistency. For example I make an English pale ale a couple times a year. Maybe I sub a hop or malt in it each time I brew it just because I didn't feel like running out to the home brew shop to get exactly what I used last time. It's not exactly the same beer every time and I really don't care, its close enough and I know I'll still really enjoy the final product.
I more think of consistency like Jeff mentioned: process consistency. Meaning can I design a recipe and then hit all the numbers I want when brewing it? To do this I need consistency in the processes; accurately and consistently being able to measure and weigh ingredients, hitting and controlling temperatures and even having a great understanding my system (boil off rate, losses to dead space, hop material/trub in the fermentor etc.). Being able to brew on my system in a consistent manor will allow me to know with confidence that I can produce the beer I have spent so much time designing.
In the end does it really matter if I am off by a couple of gravity points or a few IBU's here or there? Probably not. Will I lose any sleep over it? Absolutely not. Will I still have great beer? Yes I will.
You are also right about ingredient consistency. Batches of malt, hops and even your water (unless buying RO or stripping it yourself as different times of year can have an impact on your water profile) are outside of our control, so in essence, unless you are blending your batches like the big guys to minimize that effect, it will never be perfectly consistent.
Just my two cents.
Matt
I’m understanding more and more what people mean by consistency with each post. It could be at the crux of “Brewing Good Beer”. Who knew! (Well I guess everyone but me
It’s good to know that you can still have consistency and brew a different beer each time. I’d get a bit bored doing the same one over (Sagittarius).
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
"Passion of creation" That's surely the main thing.RossBee wrote:Call it repeatability, call it consistency, call it what you want, it's all about the passion of creation. Never made a beer yet that I didn't like, some more than others; it's a learning process. We'd all be drinking Bud Light if we were not on a quest for a better mouse trap.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
bandarker
- Verified User

- Posts: 170
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
- Name: wee
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
The latest issue of BYO covers the top 10 things to do to improve your homebrew. Number 1 is fermentation control temp. Yada yada yada I'm looking for a fermentation fridge
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Must confess though, I stopped checking the gravities every time. I know where it’s going to be near enough. I do sometimes check to make sure I’m on track or close enough. I know that’s a heinous crime.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- evanisnor
- Verified User

- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
- Name: Evan Isnor
- Location: Windsor
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Heresy!!!!!GuingesRock wrote:Must confess though, I stopped checking the gravities every time.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
Jimmy wrote:Consistency is important to me, as it's required to be able to determine the effect of making a change from batch to batch. If you can't repeat a beer, how do you know the effect of changing the recipe, process, water profile, etc.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
So we have so far …. In no particular order:bandarker wrote:The latest issue of BYO covers the top 10 things to do to improve your homebrew. Number 1 is fermentation control temp. Yada yada yada I'm looking for a fermentation fridge
1) Passion of creation, and creativity
2) Fermentation Temperature control
3) Sanitation
4) Consistency (as defined in the posts above)
5) Simple effective gear maybe.
6) Research/experimentation – maybe some heresy thrown in.
7) Communication/collaboration with other brewers.
8) Drinking the beer and developing a personal taste, and with that a personal brewing style.
9) Accessing feedback from beer judges/critics spouse/friends
10) Practice and keep doing it.
Anything else? Did I miss anything?
How does this compare to the BYO top 10 article? Did they get it right
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Ruby
- Verified User

- Posts: 161
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
- Name: Ruby
- Location: Halifax
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
For me, when it comes to creating anything, whether it's beer, food, photography or woodworking I find that the outcome is always directly affected by:
Knowledge
Planning and preparation
Knowing your ingredients and knowing that they are of good quality
Having good quality tools that are suitable for the job (Not necessarily the most expensive)
Checking quality throughout the process
All of these together build confidence, which is probably the most important ingredient in any creative process. The more confident I am, the better the end product, and the more fun the process is.
Knowledge
Planning and preparation
Knowing your ingredients and knowing that they are of good quality
Having good quality tools that are suitable for the job (Not necessarily the most expensive)
Checking quality throughout the process
All of these together build confidence, which is probably the most important ingredient in any creative process. The more confident I am, the better the end product, and the more fun the process is.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: How To Make Good Beer?
I tried to apply that to brewing specifically.Ruby wrote:For me, when it comes to creating anything, whether it's beer, food, photography or woodworking I find that the outcome is always directly affected by:
Knowledge
Planning and preparation
Knowing your ingredients and knowing that they are of good quality
Having good quality tools that are suitable for the job (Not necessarily the most expensive)
Checking quality throughout the process
All of these together build confidence, which is probably the most important ingredient in any creative process. The more confident I am, the better the end product, and the more fun the process is.
A craving for knowledge of brewing and beer.
The excitement of design and preparation (including getting a new shiny brew pot)
Fostering a passion for beer ingredients and for beer.
Good quality cherished and cared for tools, as any craftsman would have.
Checking the quality at each stage. Taking the time to admire the product at each stage, and enjoying a glass at the end.
I would think all that stuff you said, absolutely leads to a confident and successful craftsman/brewer who enjoys his craft, like you say. Lack of confidence when starting out brewing is stressful. Brewnosers are great at helping out with that. But it's also fun at the beginning.
Great post Ruby
Also: http://www.tastybrew.com/humor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests