Heating source for deep freeze
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Heating source for deep freeze
Hi all,
I bought a deep freeze and an ink bird temperature control unit for fermentation purposes. I'm keeping the freezer in the garage for now so it will get cool at night. My question is, what do people use for the heating source in the temperature controller? I heard a lamp but wouldn't this potentially skunk the beer? Has anyone tried using an aquarium heater or something like that?
Let me know what has worked in the past. Thanks
I bought a deep freeze and an ink bird temperature control unit for fermentation purposes. I'm keeping the freezer in the garage for now so it will get cool at night. My question is, what do people use for the heating source in the temperature controller? I heard a lamp but wouldn't this potentially skunk the beer? Has anyone tried using an aquarium heater or something like that?
Let me know what has worked in the past. Thanks
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Have you considered the carboy wrap heater things? That's what I was thinking of grabbing for my fermentation chamber. It's more for heating one fermenter than the whole chamber of course.
-
Bizlair
- Verified User

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am
- Name: Blair
- Location: Charlottetown
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
I was thinking of getting a carboy wrap too.
I know some people use reptile aquarium heaters from pet stores too.
I know some people use reptile aquarium heaters from pet stores too.
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Yeah I was debating the wrap heater but I'll be fermenting two carboys in there so I'm not quite sure how to setup the temperature probe.. maybe one is the right temp but other is too hot for example. I think that reptile space heater thing might be the best option!!
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
I use a reptile heat lamp. Works just great.
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Cool, thanks
- evanisnor
- Verified User

- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
- Name: Evan Isnor
- Location: Windsor
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
I use a 60w incandescent light bulb. No issues with skunking, IIRC these bulbs don't produce UV light.
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Paint can heater. It's a 40w light bulb mounted in the lid with a pancake fixture.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mindless2
- Verified User

- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
- Name: Todd Payne
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
paint can heater works awesome!!
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Thanks for the recommendations, will let you know how it goes. Ended up getting an aquatic reptile heater that has suctions to the wall of the deep freeze.
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26445-Aquat ... B000IWXHMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If this doesn't work I will try out the paint can heater
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26445-Aquat ... B000IWXHMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If this doesn't work I will try out the paint can heater
-
Bizlair
- Verified User

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am
- Name: Blair
- Location: Charlottetown
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
"NOTE: The heater should always be completely submerged in water when plugged in."
From the Amazon listing. Make sure you have the heater submerged in some water.
From the Amazon listing. Make sure you have the heater submerged in some water.
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
haha missed that post and that warning, quickly learned that it will not work. Hopefully Petsmart will take it back--eeeeeeeee
will have to try something else
will have to try something else
- evanisnor
- Verified User

- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
- Name: Evan Isnor
- Location: Windsor
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
I tried using a strip heater once but it was way too hot. Seriously, use a lightbulb. Cheap, easy, and effective. You can even hook a muffin fan up to the lampholder for air circulation.
-
saosborne
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: sean osborne
- Location: Fall River
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
I've got a similar setup in the unheated garage. I've got a space heater hooked into the duel controller. think i paid about $15 for it just be careful that the temp controller is rated for the wattage of the heater
-
rvannools
- Registered User

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 pm
- Name: Rob Van Nuland
Re: Heating source for deep freeze
Ended up getting a ceramic heat lamp (no light at all) from the pet store. Think it should work OK, thanks for the replies!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests