Page 1 of 1
Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:53 pm
by Woody
I brewed a Spruce Tip Ale last month and hit 1.066 OG. 25L batch size. I pitched 1.5 packages or US05 and the half pack was left over from a previous brew and I folded up the package and added a clothes pin and stored it in the fridge for two weeks. I figure that was my problem as the gravity is stuck at 1.032.
2 weeks ago I tried rousing the yeast with no change so I sprinkled a package of US05 in. With the alcohol in the brew the yeast did nothing and the gravity did not change. I've tried rousing again with no change and it was fermented at 18-19C.
A few days ago in a last ditch effort I made a 1 liter starter with 100 g DME. I added 1 package again of dry yeast and pithed at high krausen hoping this would make a difference. No krausen formed and no change in gravity. It looks like the yeast just dropped to the bottom of the carboy.
I'm out of options. I've read questionable results about hitting it with Champagne yeast. It tastes sweet obviously but the Spruce Tip flavour is amazing.
Any one have any other ideas? Lesson learned and I'm not going to use half packages anymore. I've got away with it a few times but no more.
Thanks in advance!

Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:58 pm
by RossBee
Raise temp and re-pitch.
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:04 pm
by Woody
Failed to mention I did that both times I repitched. Thanks!
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:09 pm
by jeffsmith
Alpha amalayse?
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:47 pm
by Woody
You thinking I should take a Hail Mary and add some Beano Jeff? It might get it going but I'm worried it might taste like tractor gas. lol I could also mash a lbs of grain at 140f for 20 mins and add it but I'm worried about contamination. I've got some thinking to do thanks.
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:02 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
honestly the half pack of yeast was probably fine. what temp did you mash at? what fermentables were in there, i.e. was it all grain or did you use molasses or something that wouldn't ferment as well?
i'd say the two options are adding alpha amylase, or using a fifferent yeast (champagne, or maybe something funky)
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:28 am
by Woody
Liam I added 3 oz molasses, 1 tbsp of black strap molasses late in the boil and 1 litre of spruce tips at 60 minutes. The rest was grain. Funny you should mention mash temp. It was at 154f but a few brews back McKay75 was over with his thermopen and discovered my thermometer was 4f too hot. I still think it should have fermented out more. I see OBK carries alpha amylase so I'm thinking Ill go that route. Appreciate the help gents.
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:58 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
Yeah that's not enough to throw it off - I was mostly wondering if you did the "old spruce beer recipe" that you can find online- where molasses is only fermentable
Alpha amylase is definitely the best option here I think
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:05 am
by Bowserm
You could always brew a lighter batch Derek and merge the two beers into one
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:30 pm
by CartoonCod
I say pitch some brett in it a give it a few months.
Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:55 pm
by Woody
Some great options gents and thanks very much for the help. I'm leaning towards the alpha amylase as my upcoming brew days are going to be used towards the Dec beer exchange and Big Spruce Comp.

Re: Stuck Fermentation
Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:12 am
by Woody
Weird thing happened a few weeks ago to my spruce tip ale. A small white film formed on top of my beer then bubbles and the airlock picked up again. I thought after 3 months the only way this happens is contamination. I decided to try it tonight and the gravity finished at 1.016 and tastes good. I got busy and made no changes or additions since my last post. With all the yeast I had added it has a small boozy flavour for a 1.066 beer but the spruce tips holds up well and it's drinkable. Anyone ever heard of this happening?