Water Question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm new to adjusting my water and would like to for my advent beer. I'm going to brew Janets Brown Ale from brewing classic styles (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... f=&t=18509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I'm on the Pockwock water supply and I know a lot of brewers are in that area too.

In the thread it states that he does the following to the water; Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm... Can someone help me figure out what I need to do to get the pockwock water somewhere within that range. I know I could do the research and figure it out but I'd rather tap into this community.. or if anyone has some adjustments they make to most of their beers I would gladly use that info as well.

Thanks :cheers:

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Water Question

Post by Lucas » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:43 pm

Do you have a target HCO3 level? For 100ppm HCO3 the additions Beersmith gives me are

3.7g gypsum
3.4g epsom salt
0.7g calcium chloride
0.7g baking soda
0.3g chalk

per 10L of water.

Edit: If you want less HCO3 (~30ppm) leave out the baking soda and the chalk.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:56 pm

Lucas wrote:Do you have a target HCO3 level? For 100ppm HCO3 the additions Beersmith gives me are

3.7g gypsum
3.4g epsom salt
0.7g calcium chloride
0.7g baking soda
0.3g chalk

per 10L of water.

Edit: If you want less HCO3 leave out the chalk.
I don't, but assuming 100ppm is a normal level that is very helpful. Is that added to the mash water before I add the grains?

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Water Question

Post by Lucas » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Yes, I usually add everything but the chalk to the strike water before the mash. I add the chalk directly to the mash when I add the grains as it doesn't dissolve as well. I just did a quick search and for amber coloured, toasted malt beers you want 50-150ppm HCO3 and for dark, roasted malt beers you want 150-250ppm HCO3. I would think that for a brown ale you'd be fine in the 100-150 range, but someone else might want to chip in with different advice.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Water Question

Post by amartin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:58 pm

It's probably ok. Yeah, the chalk won't mix in with just the water, it needs an acidic solution. I usually just sprinkle my minerals on the grain before adding the water to it.

Are you doing brew in a bag, or sparging?

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I was going to sparge. I also thought about trying a no sparge. This will be my first all grain brew and I'm fairly comfortable with the process and my mash tun is big enough to do no sparge. Any thoughts on a preference?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Water Question

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

I like full volume...one less step...and my eff hasn't suffered at all....I actually over shot my weekend brew by 2 points
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:44 pm

jacinthebox wrote:I like full volume...one less step...and my eff hasn't suffered at all....I actually over shot my weekend brew by 2 points
Are you using beer smith and changing to BIAB mash profile?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Water Question

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Yup
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: Water Question

Post by mthibodeau » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:03 pm

Jeff, just keep in mind my pot is just slightly over 8 gal and boil off for a 60 min boil is about 1 gal. So depending on your grain absorption my pot may be slightly too small, it was for my advent beer, but that also was a 20 lb grain bill so on the high side admittedly
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:16 pm

mthibodeau wrote:Jeff, just keep in mind my pot is just slightly over 8 gal and boil off for a 60 min boil is about 1 gal. So depending on your grain absorption my pot may be slightly too small, it was for my advent beer, but that also was a 20 lb grain bill so on the high side admittedly
Had not considered this. I've seen recipes for both 60 and 90 min boils with the later coming out about 20ibu's higher.. I'd like to stick to the original recipe so it would be a tight fit.

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: Water Question

Post by mthibodeau » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:30 pm

you could do it as close as possible, and do a small sparge, or you could put your extract pot on the stove and boil some extra to make up the difference
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Water Question

Post by amartin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:I was going to sparge. I also thought about trying a no sparge. This will be my first all grain brew and I'm fairly comfortable with the process and my mash tun is big enough to do no sparge. Any thoughts on a preference?
Oh, do what you're going to do, the pluses and minuses of the various mashing methods have been covered plenty elsewhere. I was just going to suggest that when preparing your sparge water omit the chalk and add it straight to the boil. Your second runnings are going to have a higher pH anyway, so I wouldn't be adding chalk to make it worse.

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:45 pm

amartin wrote:
Halifax_Jeff wrote:I was going to sparge. I also thought about trying a no sparge. This will be my first all grain brew and I'm fairly comfortable with the process and my mash tun is big enough to do no sparge. Any thoughts on a preference?
Oh, do what you're going to do, the pluses and minuses of the various mashing methods have been covered plenty elsewhere. I was just going to suggest that when preparing your sparge water omit the chalk and add it straight to the boil. Your second runnings are going to have a higher pH anyway, so I wouldn't be adding chalk to make it worse.
Ok thanks. I thought beer was supposed to be simple X)

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: Water Question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 am

jacinthebox wrote:I like full volume...one less step...and my eff hasn't suffered at all....I actually over shot my weekend brew by 2 points
Do you add extra grains when you do a no-sparge? I haven't been able to find a solid answer. I've read some sources say an extra 10-20% and others that do not mention it all and just reference the process.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Water Question

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I do no sparge, honestly haven't noticed a efficiency difference.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Water Question

Post by jacinthebox » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:09 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:
jacinthebox wrote:I like full volume...one less step...and my eff hasn't suffered at all....I actually over shot my weekend brew by 2 points
Do you add extra grains when you do a no-sparge? I haven't been able to find a solid answer. I've read some sources say an extra 10-20% and others that do not mention it all and just reference the process.
I do not...haven't had the need to

I do more step mashes than in the past...this helps I think
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests