Page 1 of 1

Fermenting at high temps?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:47 pm
by CaptainTaco
Is there any style of beer that's fermented at high temperatures? Around 75f? I wonder does all yeast make off flavours at that temp?
:cheers:

Re: Fermenting at high temps?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:49 pm
by LiverDance
Saison is the first style that comes to mind when fermenting at high temps.

Re: Fermenting at high temps?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:37 pm
by jacinthebox
CaptainTaco wrote:Is there any style of beer that's fermented at high temperatures? Around 75f? I wonder does all yeast make off flavours at that temp?
:cheers:
Is 75f your air temp or fermentation temp? Ferm Temps can heat up a bit more than air temp...like 5f if I recall correctly.

Saison yeast love the higher temp...I think I was 85f on my last one

Re: Fermenting at high temps?

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 pm
by Keith
CaptainTaco wrote:Is there any style of beer that's fermented at high temperatures? Around 75f? I wonder does all yeast make off flavours at that temp?
:cheers:
I ferment using us05 and us04, along with other speciality yeasts around 22F without issue. Sure probably not the most ideal, but it still leads to producing a tasty beer.

Re: Fermenting at high temps?

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:24 am
by Lucas
The first few days are the most critical - if you can wrap your fermentor in a cold damp towel or in a cold water bath for the first couple of days for the yeast to get started you should be fine with many ale yeasts. Many Belgians are fermented this way - start the temperature low and then ramp up the temperature gradually over a few days or a week until fermentation is complete.