Custom Recipes and Brewing
- tizzler
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:28 pm
- Name: Tom
Custom Recipes and Brewing
Hey folks,
I'm currently using the Best Case kits for beer which I'm quite happy with. I see a lot of discussion on custom recipes and clone recipes of brand beer. Do you need an extensive setup to start to get into the full custom recipes? All I really have is a big pot right now which is all the Best Case calls for.
Thanks!
I'm currently using the Best Case kits for beer which I'm quite happy with. I see a lot of discussion on custom recipes and clone recipes of brand beer. Do you need an extensive setup to start to get into the full custom recipes? All I really have is a big pot right now which is all the Best Case calls for.
Thanks!
Tom
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
It's fairly easy to go from partial grain to all grain. I moved up slowly and wouldn't look back. To get started you could get a large bag made and do biab (check out mashed in), or modify a cheap cooler. Check Everwood for a cooler conversion kit and check kijiji for a dirt cheap cooler.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
As for the custom recipes. Submit what you want to Dave and he can build them. Or try some of his kits. He should be expanding his recipes soon.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
And search for a beer that you like now online...lots of clone recipes out there.
To get a feel for the ingredients I have done smash brews...single malt and single hop. You want to find out what each of the ingredients do for a beer.
To get a feel for the ingredients I have done smash brews...single malt and single hop. You want to find out what each of the ingredients do for a beer.
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
Speaking of smash beers, we should plan another exchange.jacinthebox wrote:And search for a beer that you like now online...lots of clone recipes out there.
To get a feel for the ingredients I have done smash brews...single malt and single hop. You want to find out what each of the ingredients do for a beer.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
You don't have to go all grain for custom if you aren't ready yet, Dave will make up custom extract recipes too
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
I'd also recommend a BIAB bag for all-grain, a pot you have. Later an immersion chiller and maybe some form of fermentation temperature control. Buy some good quality hops (any old variety) good quality grain (maybe Marris Otter) some yeast (perhaps US-05 to start with) ...and get brewing. You'll be surprized where you end up.
As a first step into designing your own recipes, by all means use malt extract and try different hops and ways of hopping.
As a first step into designing your own recipes, by all means use malt extract and try different hops and ways of hopping.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- darciandjenn
- Verified User

- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
- Location: Halifax
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
Tizzler, you can also put together any ingredients you want at Noble Grape. They have a bunch of recipes to get you started and then you can swap out hops, yeast, steeping grains as you see fit. That's what we've been doing and it can be a lot of fun.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
I think recipes have a negative impact on creative home brewing and progress. The whole country is brewing from the BCS book ....well it's not quite that bad ...but!
I say study the beer you want to make, its history and characteristics, read the style guidelines, then have a go at creating that beer from scratch.
I say study the beer you want to make, its history and characteristics, read the style guidelines, then have a go at creating that beer from scratch.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
Keith wrote:Speaking of smash beers, we should plan another exchange.jacinthebox wrote:And search for a beer that you like now online...lots of clone recipes out there.
To get a feel for the ingredients I have done smash brews...single malt and single hop. You want to find out what each of the ingredients do for a beer.
can I just bring a keg and some glasses? lol...I hate bottling
I'm thinking of a long steeped wort...simcoe whirpool at 200f for an hour, then at 160f for 60min...dry hopped...MMMMMMmmmmm smashed in the face good
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
Have a "exchange day beer"?jacinthebox wrote:Keith wrote:Speaking of smash beers, we should plan another exchange.jacinthebox wrote:And search for a beer that you like now online...lots of clone recipes out there.
To get a feel for the ingredients I have done smash brews...single malt and single hop. You want to find out what each of the ingredients do for a beer.
can I just bring a keg and some glasses? lol...I hate bottling
I'm thinking of a long steeped wort...simcoe whirpool at 200f for an hour, then at 160f for 60min...dry hopped...MMMMMMmmmmm smashed in the face good
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
if it means I don't have to bottle...yup lolHave a "exchange day beer"?
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- tizzler
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:28 pm
- Name: Tom
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
Thanks. Obviously many beers out there that are fantastic. Right now, looking for a recipe for Sam Adams Boston Lager. I'll probably stop in and speak with Dave and get his input on the recipe and getting geared up for the process.
Tom
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
I've got a good clone of that lager, should do the trick.
-
cobequidkid
- Verified User

- Posts: 7
- Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:36 am
- Name: andyrama
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
How timely . . .Keith wrote: Speaking of smash beers, we should plan another exchange.
I've been cooking partial grain kits for about a year now and have received some very positive feedback from casual beer drinkers who've passed through my door at happy hour and stayed to enjoy a pint.
I'd really like to find a local (to Amherst) all grain brewer who would like to exchange. I'm hoping to gain knowledge and understanding of what differentiates (in the drinking) a partial grain beer from an all grain beer. Also looking for feedback from an experienced brewer as to just how good (or bad) is the beer I've been brewing using partial grain kits. Are the casual drinkers accurate when they say "hey, that's really good beer", or are they just trying to flatter the host to get him to bust loose another pint?
Right now I've got some ESB, Irish Red and a Double IPA in the cellar to offer, and a Black IPA fermenting that will need another month to finish and condition before it's drinkable.
Last edited by cobequidkid on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Custom Recipes and Brewing
There are definitely some Amherst folks on here. Check out the Sackville / Amherst sub forum/group.cobequidkid wrote:How timely . . .Keith wrote: Speaking of smash beers, we should plan another exchange.
I've been cooking partial grain kits for about a year now and have received some very positive feedback from casual beer drinkers who've passed through my door at happy hour and stayed to enjoy a pint.
I'd really like to find a local (to Amherst) all grain brewer who would like to exchange. I'm hoping to gain knowledge and understanding of what differentiates (in the drinking) a partial grain beer from an all grain beer. Also looking for feedback from and experienced brewer as to just how good (or bad) is the beer I've been brewing using partial grain kits. Are the casual drinkers accurate when they say "hey, that's really good beer", or are they just trying to flatter the host to get him to bust loose another pint?
Right now I've got some ESB, Irish Red and a Double IPA in the cellar to offer, and a Black IPA fermenting that will need another month to finish and condition before it's drinkable.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest