Page 1 of 1

Apricot Extract

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:36 pm
by RobD
I made a batch of Apricot wheat beer for a wedding I'm going to this Saturday. I recently kegged it, and found out that the can of apricot puree (added to the secondary) added little to no apricot flavour. I'm now in search of apricot extract, and I have no idea where to find it. I checked at the Bulk Barn and with Noble Grape with no luck.

Anyone know where to find some extract?

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:47 pm
by sleepyjamie
weird. i used the apricot puree before and it has an apricot hint of flavour added to it.

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:36 pm
by andrewtrsmith
What about adding another round of the apricot puree at this point? With the fermentation done you might should be able to retain the apricot flavour at this point. I'm still very new to this myself and this could be absolute BS but its worth a shot. This is the same hypothesis I have for my strawberry wheat experiment i'm running now. 2 pints of strawberries in the secondary and another 2 pints in the keg.

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:15 pm
by mr x
I can only think of planet organic and Pete's.

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm
by RobD
I was desperate for an idea, as I needed it for Saturday. I wasn't ready to drop the $20 for a can of puree from Noble. If I had another one left over from a group buy, then I perhaps would have done it. I ended up getting a couple cans of frozen Blueberry-Pomegranate juice concentrate and did some taste tests with it. I gave it to my gf to try, and she refused to give the glass back to me, so I knew it would at least be popular with the ladies... and it was.

"Blueberry Delight" was the name, and the keg almost got drained on Saturday night, mostly by the ladies. It had a similar taste to Fruili Strawberry, but with a Blueberry-Pomegranate taste. The non-beer drinking people (heathens) loved it.

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:21 pm
by mr x
I think you may find fruit beers that have been fermented out may be light on the fruit flavour compared to your expectations. I've made apricot and blueberry wheat beers using purees, and once they fermented the sugars in the purees, it was more about the aroma to me.

Re: Apricot Extract

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm
by Tony L
Have you looked at the flavourings that people use to flavour those alcohol kits the homebrew store sells?
I know Brewery lane here carries them. Still spirit essences I think it is called.