Maltheads

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Maltheads

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 am

I think I made that word up.

Is anyone really in to malt and prefers the hops to take a back seat?

And ...What do you have to say to Hopheads?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Maltheads

Post by McGruff » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am

I am a malthead. I only like hops in an AIPA. My usual brews, ( Pilsners, ESB's ) have to have that nice malt taste. There is nothing better than a nice Helles. Some Pilsners are quite hoppy, but not mine. What do I say to Hopheads? If that is what you like, go for it, but just not for me.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Maltheads

Post by GAM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:56 am

I am trying to come up with a way to say I swing both ways!

S

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Maltheads

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:59 am

GAM wrote:I am trying to come up with a way to say I swing both ways!

S
Not allowed Sandy. No fence sitting :)
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Maltheads

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:32 pm

McGruff wrote:I am a malthead. I only like hops in an AIPA. My usual brews, ( Pilsners, ESB's ) have to have that nice malt taste. There is nothing better than a nice Helles. Some Pilsners are quite hoppy, but not mine. What do I say to Hopheads? If that is what you like, go for it, but just not for me.
That's interesting. Do you enjoy the entire colour spectrum of malts, or just a certain range? That "nice malt taste"? also is it "more is better" like a hophead might say, or is malt appreciation more subtle. When you talk about "hoppy" is that bitterness or late hopping flavours you are talking about, or both.

Beers are said to need the bitterness of hops to cancel the sweetness that would otherwise be present. A malt forward beer then needs low bitterness, but what about late hopping/dry hopping flavours? They should take a back seat as well presumably?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Maltheads

Post by CartoonCod » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:45 pm

I've had some wonderful bocks and doppelbocks that have converted me partly onto the malthead bandwagon. I do enjoy hoppy beers but with these styles it's all about the complex rich malt character. They've got to have a low bitterness and a low hop flavour. I find rich malty beers suit colder weather.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Maltheads

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:07 am

CartoonCod wrote:I've had some wonderful bocks and doppelbocks that have converted me partly onto the malthead bandwagon. I do enjoy hoppy beers but with these styles it's all about the complex rich malt character. They've got to have a low bitterness and a low hop flavour. I find rich malty beers suit colder weather.
Adam, I'm really interested in this kind of comment. You mention two beer styles. For we brewers ( ;) Liam), can you identify the malt or malts in those beer styles that turn you on (so to speak). Thanks.

Does anyone have specific malt/malts that they crave?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Maltheads

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:21 am

I tend to like the darker versions with lots of munich with some vienna and pils malt, and maybe a bit of caramel/crystal malt. I think another key to good malty beers is the yeast strain. Having one to complement the malt is the key to good malty beers.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Maltheads

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:43 am

Thanks.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests