Alcohol Thread

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Alcohol Thread

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:42 am

That’s funny! I don’t see a thread on alcohol, so I’m starting one.

You’d think that alcohol was an unfortunate by-product of brewing, and we are all devout Baptists or something, making flavourful drinks with hops and barley.

We talk about the flavours from hops, yeast and malt. What about alcohol? How does alcohol contribute to beer? How to emphasise the taste of alcohol? Are there different flavours from alcohol in beer?

Are there beers that feature alcohol, like an IPA features hops, a stout features malt, a hefeweizen features yeast? If there aren’t any; I think there should be.

It’s a fair question I think.

Bugger! I just remembered something. The big commercial beers (the mega-swills) are drunk by the masses because of the alcohol. They have not much else. ’cept they are cold and sold with a dream.

A beer with no alcohol is not very rewarding. We need a serious discussion on Booze. It is a strong and essential feature of beer. You can no more have beer without alcohol, than you can have a joint without cannabis. People smoke the joint for the cannabis, and drink the beer for the alcohol.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
Name: Mitchell Kehoe
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC

Re: Alcohol Thread

Post by MitchK » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:48 pm

I would say that when you make a lighter "alcohol first" beer you get what you call a "mega-swill"...

I recently had a belgian style dubbel that had higher alcohol content than most of my usual picks and the warming note of the alcohol definitely complimented the other flavors.

I'd like to try a barleywine at some point.

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Alcohol Thread

Post by Lucas » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Eisbocks jump to mind. Not sure if it is truth or legend but apparently the style originated because a cask of bock got partially frozen during transport. Since water freezes before alcohol you get an amped up version of your beer. Anyways, now some breweries make them on purpose. I think the most famous and easiest to obtain (relatively speaking) is the Schneider Aventinus Eisbock.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Alcohol Thread

Post by jason.loxton » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:06 am

Vancouver Island Brewing has made Hermanator Ice Bock for about 15 years. It was always a favourite. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/492/1401/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests