coffee stout methods

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
Name: Mitchell Kehoe
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC

coffee stout methods

Post by MitchK » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:11 am

How is everyone adding coffee to their stouts? Could I just dump espresso in or would I be better off with cold brew? Adding beans to secondary (ground, cracked, whole?)

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: coffee stout methods

Post by mstead » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:14 pm

I recently did a coffee porter and added cold brewed coffee to taste when kegging. Seems to have kept the bitterness from the coffee to a minimum. Great flavor.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: coffee stout methods

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:23 pm

If you search on the forum I think Nash had some advice about this at one point.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: coffee stout methods

Post by evanisnor » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:22 am

I haven't done it yet but I would definitely do cold brew. I guess you could also add coarse grind in a mesh bag to your fermenter when you cold crash for a (theoretically) similar effect with less water. Either way, I would definitely not add espresso or any hot brewed coffee... I can't imagine that would taste good at all.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests