Grain Storage
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Grain Storage
Sitting on about 500 lbs of grains, currently stored in a "heated" warehouse. I see outside grain silos at breweries and was wondering what the storage temperature of raw malted grain can be? Any thoughts?
Why brew beer I can buy?
- Celiacbrew
- Verified User

- Posts: 849
- Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
- Name: Mike E.
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Grain Storage
http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/blog/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Briess says that moisture is your problem. They also mention freeze thaw cycles causing condensation problems.
Briess says that moisture is your problem. They also mention freeze thaw cycles causing condensation problems.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Mike E.
Mike E.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Grain Storage
I always wondered about those hoppers. Interesting link. Our climate is very variable here. The other thing I wonder about is don't they limit your malt bill? What kind of grain can you get shipped in to load up? Is it just domestic 2-row? Are they divided inside with compartments for different malt? If so, how many compartments can you have?
The setups I have seen in the old breweries in the UK is a 3 of 4 story building with the mill plus grain on the top floor (details and pictures here: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 21&p=66236&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Each different part of the brewing process occurs on a successively lower floor, with the fermentation chambers on the ground floor. That way I suppose they didn't have to use pumps.
Here's a picture of grain being hoisted up to the top floor at St. Austel Brewery:
The setups I have seen in the old breweries in the UK is a 3 of 4 story building with the mill plus grain on the top floor (details and pictures here: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 21&p=66236&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Each different part of the brewing process occurs on a successively lower floor, with the fermentation chambers on the ground floor. That way I suppose they didn't have to use pumps.
Here's a picture of grain being hoisted up to the top floor at St. Austel Brewery:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests