Old Yeast

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Old Yeast

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am

I picked up a Wyeast Ringwood Ale smack pack this weekend and didn't notice until I "smacked" it that it's manufacture date was back in April. Two days after smacking, the package was barely swollen, if at all. So last night I made a starter (2L, my first ever, btw) and dumped the yeast in. This morning, I don't see any signs of activity. I've heard that Ringwood can be a slow starter, but honestly, I'm worried this yeast is kaput. Even if there are some yeasties doing their thing in my starter, I'm worried that the inoculation rate in my starter was so low that any yeast I have is stressed out and I shouldn't be using it.

SO, should I just give up on it? Or be patient?

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Old Yeast

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:22 am

i'd take the package back to whatever shop you picked it up from, and complain. 7 months from manufacture is a lot longer than those things should be sitting in a shop. usually 3-4 months is as old as i'm willing to pay full price for, as anything older will probably need a multi-step starter, ie more work and more chance of infection.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

jmacdonald
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:21 am
Name: Jeff
Location: Amherst, NS

Re: Old Yeast

Post by jmacdonald » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 am

I just had an experience where I went to brew and my yeast was 8 months after manufacture. I created a starter and it took 2-3 days before I got activity. I ended up leaving it almost a week before it fermented out. When pitched it took off right away and worked as normal. Be patient.

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Old Yeast

Post by McGruff » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 am

I would of made a 500 ml starter with yeast this old. Step it up from there.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Old Yeast

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 am

I had that happen once, I ended up leaving it in the fridge and after a week it was fully swollen. I had already replaced it and ended up brewing another one just to use it.

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Old Yeast

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am

McGruff wrote:I would of made a 500 ml starter with yeast this old. Step it up from there.
Yes, after the fact, I realised that this is what I should have done.

Thanks for the help, guys :cheers2:

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: Old Yeast

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 am

Update: I ended up "stepping down" the starter, if that's a thing, and the yeast seemed to really respond well to that. After a few more days, I pitched it this weekend and it took off in record time. One of the fastest and most active looking fermentations I've seen. Might want to ask "Santa" for some flasks and a stir plate for Christmas now that I see the difference a starter makes... ;)

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest