Page 1 of 1

Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am
by darciandjenn
I picked up a Wyeast Ringwood Ale smack pack this weekend and didn't notice until I "smacked" it that it's manufacture date was back in April. Two days after smacking, the package was barely swollen, if at all. So last night I made a starter (2L, my first ever, btw) and dumped the yeast in. This morning, I don't see any signs of activity. I've heard that Ringwood can be a slow starter, but honestly, I'm worried this yeast is kaput. Even if there are some yeasties doing their thing in my starter, I'm worried that the inoculation rate in my starter was so low that any yeast I have is stressed out and I shouldn't be using it.

SO, should I just give up on it? Or be patient?

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:22 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
i'd take the package back to whatever shop you picked it up from, and complain. 7 months from manufacture is a lot longer than those things should be sitting in a shop. usually 3-4 months is as old as i'm willing to pay full price for, as anything older will probably need a multi-step starter, ie more work and more chance of infection.

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:32 am
by jmacdonald
I just had an experience where I went to brew and my yeast was 8 months after manufacture. I created a starter and it took 2-3 days before I got activity. I ended up leaving it almost a week before it fermented out. When pitched it took off right away and worked as normal. Be patient.

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:36 am
by McGruff
I would of made a 500 ml starter with yeast this old. Step it up from there.

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
I had that happen once, I ended up leaving it in the fridge and after a week it was fully swollen. I had already replaced it and ended up brewing another one just to use it.

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am
by darciandjenn
McGruff wrote:I would of made a 500 ml starter with yeast this old. Step it up from there.
Yes, after the fact, I realised that this is what I should have done.

Thanks for the help, guys :cheers2:

Re: Old Yeast

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 am
by darciandjenn
Update: I ended up "stepping down" the starter, if that's a thing, and the yeast seemed to really respond well to that. After a few more days, I pitched it this weekend and it took off in record time. One of the fastest and most active looking fermentations I've seen. Might want to ask "Santa" for some flasks and a stir plate for Christmas now that I see the difference a starter makes... ;)