Off taste???
-
Oilhead
- Registered User

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:48 pm
- Name: Trevor
- Location: Annapolis Valley
Off taste???
I've had generally good luck with "Festa Brew" but I believe I am getting an off taste on my last batch. "West Coast IPA" which I admit is the first time I had tried it, but it seems to have a slight taste of spiciness (kinda clove like) which I don't believe should be there. It's not too bad, the missus likes it just fine. I was wondering what I might have done wrong before I put on the second batch.
- Lucas
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 421
- Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
- Name: Lucas
- Location: Winnipeg
Re: Off taste???
Was your fermentation temperature higher than usual? Many yeasts produce clove-like phenols at higher temperatures.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Off taste???
^^This^^Lucas wrote:Was your fermentation temperature higher than usual? Many yeasts produce clove-like phenols at higher temperatures.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Off taste???
Do you have a plastic spigot on your fermenting bucket? if you do, pull it apart with some pliers and you will discover a stinky, grimy black bacterial slime inside that is causing a minor infection in your beer and off flavours. Then throw the spigot away. Major infections are easy, you know when you have them, it's the minor ones that get you.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Off taste???
BJCP flash card for phenolic off flavours from here: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/OffFlavorFlash.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nova Scotia wild yeast I believe has that flavour.
Nova Scotia wild yeast I believe has that flavour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
Oilhead
- Registered User

- Posts: 28
- Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:48 pm
- Name: Trevor
- Location: Annapolis Valley
Re: Off taste???
Thanks for the reply's. Plain bucket with airlock, no spigot. My temps might have been a bit high, I'll try and keep a better control on it next time.
How do you protect against wild yeast contaminating your beer when your putting it on?
How do you protect against wild yeast contaminating your beer when your putting it on?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Off taste???
It's making sure everything is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. Is the bucket getting old and scratched at all? scratches can harbour infection.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Off taste???
Don't forget the siphon hose as well - that's where my NS wild yeast problem originated a couple years back.GuingesRock wrote:It's making sure everything is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. Is the bucket getting old and scratched at all? scratches can harbour infection.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Off taste???
Derek, I remember now, it was you that told me about NS wild yeast. Did I get it right that it produces phenolics?LeafMan66_67 wrote:Don't forget the siphon hose as well - that's where my NS wild yeast problem originated a couple years back.GuingesRock wrote:It's making sure everything is thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. Is the bucket getting old and scratched at all? scratches can harbour infection.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests