120v ebiab
- sleepyjamie
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 2482
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
- Name: jamie
- Location: Calgary
120v ebiab
Anyone running 120v ebiab on here? I'm going to be brewing back in my place soon and I have limited space and a wife. So that means small single ebiab is the best choice. I already have the pot, pump and chiller so all that is remaining is controller and heating element. I want something that I can "set and forget". This will be for small batches. 3-5 gallons.
I've looked a online and there are a lot of options. I could build my own controller but I'm not sure if it's even worth the time. Here is something that looks good and these guys are from Vancouver.
http://brausupply.com/collections/elect ... controller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure what the cost would be to build something like this myself. If I can save $100 or more it's worth it otherwise I'll just buy this. I'm looking to make a 15A 1500w or maybe go with 20A 2250W. This will be plugged into my 20A kitchen outlet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've looked a online and there are a lot of options. I could build my own controller but I'm not sure if it's even worth the time. Here is something that looks good and these guys are from Vancouver.
http://brausupply.com/collections/elect ... controller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure what the cost would be to build something like this myself. If I can save $100 or more it's worth it otherwise I'll just buy this. I'm looking to make a 15A 1500w or maybe go with 20A 2250W. This will be plugged into my 20A kitchen outlet.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: 120v ebiab
You may be able to save money but it also takes a lot of time and effort so think of that too. You know how long it took me...
There's also the Brau Mini for $100 USD less. $100 for a pump switch.
There's also the Brau Mini for $100 USD less. $100 for a pump switch.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: 120v ebiab
http://jaggerbushbrewing.com/PID-110-VO ... _p_64.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would this work? Cheaper, but from the US.
Would this work? Cheaper, but from the US.
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: 120v ebiab
I am definitely all for coming up with some way to do 120v ebiab (or e-anything really). I think you'd need good insulation to get a half decently vigorous boil out of 5 gallons on 1800 watts though. And for me being able to fill a 5 gallon keg with each batch is a must, so I'm right on the line of possibility (I know the grainfather can do it with a kinda meh boil barring added insulation, but I have yet to figure out what I would buy to basically build myself a grainfather)
- sleepyjamie
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 2482
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
- Name: jamie
- Location: Calgary
Re: 120v ebiab
I could rig one up fairly easily if I had the schematics and parts list. But finding that would be a pita.RubberToe wrote:You may be able to save money but it also takes a lot of time and effort so think of that too. You know how long it took me...
There's also the Brau Mini for $100 USD less. $100 for a pump switch.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
- sleepyjamie
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 2482
- Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
- Name: jamie
- Location: Calgary
Re: 120v ebiab
Yeah I think it will likely be 3 gallon batches for the next while. I can't drink all the beer I make so 3 gallons is probably ideal.MitchK wrote:I am definitely all for coming up with some way to do 120v ebiab (or e-anything really). I think you'd need good insulation to get a half decently vigorous boil out of 5 gallons on 1800 watts though. And for me being able to fill a 5 gallon keg with each batch is a must, so I'm right on the line of possibility (I know the grainfather can do it with a kinda meh boil barring added insulation, but I have yet to figure out what I would buy to basically build myself a grainfather)
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)
- joe_r_harvie
- Registered User

- Posts: 92
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm
- Name: Joe Harvie
- Location: Middle River, Cape Breton
Re: 120v ebiab
Hi, I have been using two 1500 watt elements in my homemade 30 L brew pot for years with good success. I had to run two separate breakers to my plug though so it doesn't short. It takes a half hour to get my wort to boil. I rarely monitor it during the boil although I do check for boil overs all the time. I run the two elements at full capacity during the boil... great system.
Primary - Ptemium Bitter
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
Secondary -
On tap - Blonde, Best Bitter, Golden Ale, Standard Bitter, Porter, Irish Red
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
Re: 120v ebiab
Yah I have 2 1500w elements running as well. I usually run full out and get very vigorous boils in 20L batch size. Have parts to put together a voltage regulator of sorts to scale back power bit.
Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests