Dry hopping
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Dry hopping
Doing my first dry hop and, because I'm lazy, I'm wondering about what I can get away with. Everything I've read suggests racking to a secondary and dry hopping there. But could I get away with just chucking the hops into the primary after a week or so? What am I risking by doing that?
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Dry hopping
Yes. Nothing. 
There are other dry hopping methods but that is a good one. There's certainly nothing wrong with putting them in the primary, I do that 100% of the time. Just make sure fermentation is finished (or mostly).
There are other dry hopping methods but that is a good one. There's certainly nothing wrong with putting them in the primary, I do that 100% of the time. Just make sure fermentation is finished (or mostly).
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: Dry hopping
Yes primary all the way.
Many commercial breweries, most notably Stone, advocate adding them just as fermentation is wrapping up as there is thought that the yeast activity + aromatic oils will produce some good flavours.
I just chuck them into my primary for 3 to 5 days, then rack to a keg. I used to add them to the keg in a mesh bag after cold crashing but thats not worth the hassle.
Many commercial breweries, most notably Stone, advocate adding them just as fermentation is wrapping up as there is thought that the yeast activity + aromatic oils will produce some good flavours.
I just chuck them into my primary for 3 to 5 days, then rack to a keg. I used to add them to the keg in a mesh bag after cold crashing but thats not worth the hassle.
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Dry hopping
I was planning on precisely this.mcgster wrote:Yes primary all the way.
I just chuck them into my primary for 3 to 5 days, then rack to a keg.
Thanks gents!
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Dry hopping
I dry hop in the primary...cold crashing helps to quickly knock out the hop gunk. I dry hop for 4 days
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
ivorm
- Verified User

- Posts: 228
- Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm
- Name: Ivor
- Location: Halifax
Re: Dry hopping
I've only made extract brews so far. I made a double IPA from Everwood where I had a lot of loss in the primary due a lot of gunk in the bottom then dry hopped in secondary and lost a lot again due to the high dose of hops which I didn't really account for in my batch size. If I had my time back I would have added them to the primary an maybe minimize some of my loses. Not sure if it would have helped or not.
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Dry hopping
There have been a few references to cold crashing. Can I infer from this that you just toss the hops in without some sort of mesh bag? I was going to use a bag, but again only because that seems to be what people do. Again, advantages/disadvantages?
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Dry hopping
A three inch tea ball works well for this, contains most of the gunk.
Why brew beer I can buy?
- Bluefin 774
- Verified User

- Posts: 154
- Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:34 pm
- Name: Mike
- Location: Mount Pearl, Newfoundland
Re: Dry hopping
I have used the 3 inch hop ball (like a tea strainer only bigger) and just thrown hop pellets in the primary bucket after 7 days. I usually dry hop for 7 days. With 1 ounce of hop pellets I found the hop ball very full and compacted. The next time I just tossed the hops in loose and after 5 days I cold crashed for two days and the hops went to the bottom. They loose pellets in the bucket worked easier in my opinion. 
Take care, Bluefin.
Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch
Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:
Up Next: ?
Tap # 1: Apple Cider
Tap # 2: Kolsch
Fermenting: Bluefin's Hefeweisen
Fermenting:
Up Next: ?
- Albert
- Verified User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm
- Name: Al.M.
- Location: NB
Re: Dry hopping
Fwiw my method: Ferm til it's done,( til the gravity settles) toss hops in, leave 5-7 days then rack to keg (o bottlin bucket) using strainer on racking cane outlet.
Hit it with gelatin if you're not lazy and appreciate clear beer...but that's another thread
Hit it with gelatin if you're not lazy and appreciate clear beer...but that's another thread
on Tap
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests