Page 1 of 1

Stout question

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:57 pm
by Bowserm
Hey guys,

I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?

Re: Stout question

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 pm
by Keith
I wouldn't sub for one another. Different malts completely. Any guys around ya able to spare some grain?

Re: Stout question

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm
by Bowserm
I haven't asked anyone yet. Figured I would see if I could substitute first.

Re: Stout question

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 pm
by RossBee
Bowserm wrote:Hey guys,

I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?

Sitting on about 30 lbs here, more than welcome to some.

Re: Stout question

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am
by Ladd
Black patent is much more acrid than the chocolate malts. I'd definitely borrow if you can. If you have to sub, don't go oz for oz, use just enough black patent to get your color.

Re: Stout question

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:40 pm
by Bowserm
I ended up using the black malt, but used less than the chocolate. I did try to oven bake some 2-row but my house ended up smokey at 6:45 this morning. Probably not a good way to start the day trying to get 3 kids fed and lunches made for the day.

Re: Stout question

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:14 am
by Steeveo
Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.

Re: Stout question

Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:20 pm
by Bowserm
Steeveo wrote:Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.
Thanks Steve, but It's okay, I've learned a valuable lesson from this. Be prepared.