bottle conditioned beers taste off
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
bottle conditioned beers taste off
I have about 10 grolsch bottles full of beer I bottle conditioned (one gallon of a festa kit where I kegged the rest and a one gallon oatmeal stout all-grain kit) and they taste SUPER yeasty in a way that I am really not feeling... With the oatmeal stout I thought I fucked up brewing it somehow but with the festa pilsner the kegged portion (and the bottles I filled off of the keg) turned out GREAT but the bottle conditioned portion is kinda gross... Maybe the bottles need more time to age compared to the kegged beer? Or should I be leaving them in the fridge for weeks to kinda "bottle lager" to clean that up?
-
jason.loxton
- Verified User

- Posts: 972
- Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
- Name: Jason Loxton
- Location: sydney ns
Re: bottle conditioned beers taste off
How long have they been conditioning? Assuming that they're done (carbonated), throw them in the fridge for a week. If it's yeast still in suspension, it should fall out. (Or just give them some more time.)
Two other options:
1. It is possible that you're tasting residual sanitizer in the bottles if they weren't rinsed properly, even if you used the same routine for both, since bottles have considerably more surface area to volume vs. a keg;
2. You've got an infection: Wild yeast or bacteria is going to go dormant when the keg is chilled, but is going to continue to thrive in your conditioning beer. If it is an infection, chilling and drinking fast is your only option.
Two other options:
1. It is possible that you're tasting residual sanitizer in the bottles if they weren't rinsed properly, even if you used the same routine for both, since bottles have considerably more surface area to volume vs. a keg;
2. You've got an infection: Wild yeast or bacteria is going to go dormant when the keg is chilled, but is going to continue to thrive in your conditioning beer. If it is an infection, chilling and drinking fast is your only option.
- MitchK
- Verified User

- Posts: 878
- Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
- Name: Mitchell Kehoe
- Location: Okanagan Valley, BC
Re: bottle conditioned beers taste off
the second bottle I opened which had been in the fridge for a couple days rather than 5 hours tasted a lot better. I think I basically just need to give the bottles a good cold crash like you said.
-
IanWatson
- Verified User

- Posts: 53
- Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:10 pm
- Name: Ian Watson
Re: bottle conditioned beers taste off
Personally, I've always found any bottle-conditioned beer to taste yeasty. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it. In my mind I automatically associate any bottle-conditioned beer with "home brew" and it frustrated me to no end because the brews I made always tasted like home brew to me. Then I got a keg and finally was satisfied with my beer.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest