Design of Experiments

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
bawest
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 am
Name: Bruce West

Design of Experiments

Post by bawest » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm new to brewing and other than just saying "i like beer" in the past, I don't know much about the brew. So far, I've made 3 batches from homebrew stores. They were nice and easy and all, but I haven't really learned anything.

So, I'm thinking about doing a design of experiments kind of thing to experience the differences, causes and effects.

My plan is (I think) reasonable, but I need some help to either call it off or technical support.

1. I want to buy 4 or 5 one gallon carboys for this experiment education - with airlocks

2. I want to brew 5 gallons of extract

3. in each carboy, I would do different things and see results.

So, for you experienced guys, what variables should I try? I thought about 5 gallons of one extract, then try 5 different yeasts, then 5 different hops, different fermentation temperatures with same yeast.

any ideas or suggested plans of actions? Is it a dumb idea? I'm tired of just making 5 gallons and being stuck with 50 bottles of the same thing before I can try something else. I don't have friends coming by to sample brews but i want different beers.

as far as hops, I may even try different times of boiling etc.

Talk me back from the ledge or give me some encouragement and suggestions like what 5 yeasts? What base extract, which hops, etc. I kind of want to go to extremes to see the causes and effects. Thanks
:spilly: :banana:

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by Woody » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:45 pm

I doubt you will find anyone here who will talk you off the brewing ledge. We will just help you land. Nothing you mention is dumb and it's the only way to learn. Your options are endless. Do your 5 gallon batch and once done split into fermenters. Why not make a higher gravity wort of a pale ale, dilute with (after a 10 minute boil) some steeping grains to make a red or a brown and add that to one fermenter. Try different yeast, oak, dry hop. Your imagination is where it ends. Be sure to post what you like the most. I've messed up allot of beer but I still ended up with beer and learned allot. Welcome to the obsession.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by GAM » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 pm

The sanitization required for4l is the same as 40l. Worthy experiment but time and risk (infection) is high.

Try to buddy up with a brewer close to you and learn together.

Just advice not a "do it or your an fool" comment.

S

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by Keith » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Sky's the limits. Why not brew a large batch and see if anyone is up for a trade?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by Celiacbrew » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 pm

If you like IPAs I would start with different hops in each carboy as a dry hop and then blend the five in different hops in different ratios to see the combination you like the most.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
Name: Lucas
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by Lucas » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:35 am

I'm with Celiacbrew - splitting post-boil is easy. You could even do a primary fermentation of the whole 5 gallons and then rack it into five separate 1 gallon jugs and add different dry hops then. This way you would be sure that the only variable is the dry hopping.

Five different yeasts or yeasts at different temperatures is pretty straightforward too.

Splitting pre-boil is a lot more work, and it is harder for us to control all of the variables there as homebrewers, but by all means give it a shot! The idea of steeping some dark grains in half of a pale ale wort is a great idea. I am pretty sure you can get 3-gallon carboys at Noble Grape which are perfect for batches split two ways.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by jason.loxton » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:29 pm

I'll reiterate what others say and encourage you to experiment: It's the best way to really learn about the flavour contributions of various variables. This is a great book for inspiration (and general brewing info): http://www.amazon.ca/Experimental-Homeb ... 0760345384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:54 pm
Name: Kyle
Location: Halifax, Nova Soctia

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by KMcK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:39 pm

For me it's all about the yeast.
yeast.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

bawest
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 am
Name: Bruce West

Re: Design of Experiments

Post by bawest » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:34 am

cool. thanks. I've got some reading to do.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests