Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 am
Location: Hammonds Plains

Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by HoweFox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:07 pm

I think there are quite a few people brewing with a propane burner in a garage. Was wondering what others do for ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning? Open the garage door wide open? Just leave the side door open?

I brewed yesterday within a double car garage and I opened a side window plus had the side door open. During heat up to mash my carbon monoxide detector went off so I guess that isn't enough....
https://PrivateLadyEscorts.com - Local Chat Dating - No Verify - Anonymous Sex Dating - No Bots Dating Chat

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:10 pm

HoweFox wrote:I think there are quite a few people brewing with a propane burner in a garage. Was wondering what others do for ventilation to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning? Open the garage door wide open? Just leave the side door open?

I brewed yesterday within a double car garage and I opened a side window plus had the side door open. During heat up to mash my carbon monoxide detector went off so I guess that isn't enough....
Mike and I when brewing at his place leave the door open about 1.5 feet when the burner is running. So far so good and we are both still alive and have had both burners going at once.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:21 pm

when we winter brew in my buddy's garage...the big door is opened up a couple feet
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by mikeorr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:28 pm

This reminds me, next time I brew a batch in the garage I'll put a CO detector out there just to double-check...

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Just FYI,

Carbon monoxide rises with the heat as it's roughly the same density as air. I know that most folks just crack the garage door, and that works, but unlike CO2 which sinks, CO mixes equally at all levels in the space. Just make sure you have good air flow to avoid getting sick. Maybe that headache you have after brewing is not due to Keith's DIPAs!

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by amartin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:04 pm

I might not be doing enough, but during the winter I keep the burner next to the side door and keep it open a few feet, and I have a standing floor fan that I run next to it. I was mostly doing it to blow the steam out, and it works pretty well, but maybe I should have the window open to allow extra air flow.

In the summer, of course, I just keep the big door open.

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by Woody » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:09 pm

I have a 16x8 foot garage door I keep wide open along with the back door and a side window. Perhaps overkill but I'm not taking any chances.

User avatar
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
Name: Mitchell Kehoe
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by MitchK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:14 pm

CO detectors are too cheap to do without.

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by mstead » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:52 pm

I just dress really warm and open up the shed door.

Timothy Doane
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: Garage brewing and carbon monoxide

Post by Timothy Doane » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:24 pm

My wife tells me about a guy in Berwick that BBQed win the garage with the door open and wound up blowing up his garage....so I'm banned from that winter activity. Ha ha

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests