Hop filtering post boil
-
Andre
- Verified User

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
- Name: Andre
Hop filtering post boil
I love to brew hoppy beers, our last DIPA used 7oz of hops in a 5G batch.
Transferring to the fermenter tends to bring a lot of trub with it. So we started to use a nylon bag when transferring to filter the wort a bit.
I thought of a hop spider but I'm not a fan of having all the hops in one spot, I feel like it would give diminishing returns with hop utilisation.
What does everyone do for this? Is there a better approach?
Thanks.
Transferring to the fermenter tends to bring a lot of trub with it. So we started to use a nylon bag when transferring to filter the wort a bit.
I thought of a hop spider but I'm not a fan of having all the hops in one spot, I feel like it would give diminishing returns with hop utilisation.
What does everyone do for this? Is there a better approach?
Thanks.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Hop filtering post boil
I tried the hop spider and didn't like it. Having the hops float free gives the best results at my place. To avoid transferring to the fermenter, try whirlpooling either with a pump or very patiently with a spoon. Hops and larger debris should settle out in the centre of the kettle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Hop filtering post boil
I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
Swine
- Verified User

- Posts: 306
- Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am
- Name: Ryan Swinamer
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Hop filtering post boil
If whirlpooling with a spoon, how long would you do this for a 5gal batch?
-
Andre
- Verified User

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:56 am
- Name: Andre
Re: Hop filtering post boil
Awesome, I'll try that next time.
Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?
Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?
- spickup
- Verified User

- Posts: 180
- Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm
Re: Hop filtering post boil
I also whirlpool using a pump, but still find that I get lots of hop debris come through (I make very hoppy beers). I'm thinking about getting a hop spider or something similar. I wonder if there really is any difference having the hops free floating?
- bluenose
- Verified User

- Posts: 1984
- Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
- Location: New Glasgow
Re: Hop filtering post boil
could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Hop filtering post boil
Keith wrote:I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Hop filtering post boil
Side pickup definitely helps when whirlpooling since everything lands in the middle. My 5g APA'S and IPA's usually have anywhere from 5 to 8 ounces of pellet hops and I don't have any noticeable amount of hop debris in my carboys.Andre wrote:Awesome, I'll try that next time.
Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
saosborne
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: sean osborne
- Location: Fall River
Re: Hop filtering post boil
I've tried it but the break matter clogged it up, however that was straight off the valvebluenose wrote:could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?
-
Bowserm
- Verified User

- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
- Name: Mark Bowser
- Location: Truro
Re: Hop filtering post boil
I have heard of guys using a 5 gallon nylon bag (paint bag) for the hops. it would work the same as the spider, but when the boil is finished, you pull the bag out and all the hops goes with it, only it would use the entire kettle instead of a condensed area like the spider would.
Just keep it off the bottom so it won't burn.
Just keep it off the bottom so it won't burn.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests