Page 1 of 1

Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:10 pm
by Andre
I love to brew hoppy beers, our last DIPA used 7oz of hops in a 5G batch.

Transferring to the fermenter tends to bring a lot of trub with it. So we started to use a nylon bag when transferring to filter the wort a bit.

I thought of a hop spider but I'm not a fan of having all the hops in one spot, I feel like it would give diminishing returns with hop utilisation.

What does everyone do for this? Is there a better approach?

Thanks.

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:41 pm
by LeafMan66_67
I tried the hop spider and didn't like it. Having the hops float free gives the best results at my place. To avoid transferring to the fermenter, try whirlpooling either with a pump or very patiently with a spoon. Hops and larger debris should settle out in the centre of the kettle.
IMG_20151011_111124.jpg
IMG_20151011_111254.jpg

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:02 pm
by Keith
I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 pm
by Swine
If whirlpooling with a spoon, how long would you do this for a 5gal batch?

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:55 pm
by Andre
Awesome, I'll try that next time.

Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm
by spickup
I also whirlpool using a pump, but still find that I get lots of hop debris come through (I make very hoppy beers). I'm thinking about getting a hop spider or something similar. I wonder if there really is any difference having the hops free floating?

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:13 pm
by bluenose
could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:43 pm
by jeffsmith
Keith wrote:I whirlpool as well. Works great. Have used 1.5 lbs in a dipa without issue so far.
:stupid:

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 pm
by LeafMan66_67
Andre wrote:Awesome, I'll try that next time.

Derek, I notice you have a side pickup tube. Does that help as well?
Side pickup definitely helps when whirlpooling since everything lands in the middle. My 5g APA'S and IPA's usually have anywhere from 5 to 8 ounces of pellet hops and I don't have any noticeable amount of hop debris in my carboys.

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:33 pm
by saosborne
bluenose wrote:could you put a bazooka screen on the side pickup?
I've tried it but the break matter clogged it up, however that was straight off the valve

Re: Hop filtering post boil

Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm
by Bowserm
I have heard of guys using a 5 gallon nylon bag (paint bag) for the hops. it would work the same as the spider, but when the boil is finished, you pull the bag out and all the hops goes with it, only it would use the entire kettle instead of a condensed area like the spider would.

Just keep it off the bottom so it won't burn.