Page 1 of 1
What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 pm
by SMbrew36
New to brewing I'd like to try a kit beer using dry malt extract and a hop tea. What would you recommend?
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:33 am
by Andre
I've made good beers with Best Case beer kits.
http://bestcasebeer.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's extract with grains and hops.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:46 am
by BAbrewing
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:48 am
by Keith
SMbrew36 wrote:New to brewing I'd like to try a kit beer using dry malt extract and a hop tea. What would you recommend?
If you were to buy craft beer. What styles would you typically buy?
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:54 pm
by MitchK
I will second the everwood kits. Another option is festa brew if you want super simple (which I would recommend if you still haven't learned fermentation -> bottling so you can focus on learning one thing at a time each batch)
I would also second asking yourself what style you want to drink 5/6 gallons of. Some extract kits involve specialty grains that must be steeped before the extract is mixed in and the hop boil begins, so that's an extra complication with some styles (some other styles use pure extract - like a weizen), some extract kits have more hop additions than others as well (like an ipa).
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:08 pm
by SMbrew36
Just placed my first order from everwood. Can't wait until it arrives.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:50 pm
by SMbrew36
Keith wrote:SMbrew36 wrote:New to brewing I'd like to try a kit beer using dry malt extract and a hop tea. What would you recommend?
If you were to buy craft beer. What styles would you typically buy?
budwiser is what I'll buy, mostly because I'm not adventures because it's so expensive.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:56 am
by Keith
SMbrew36 wrote:Keith wrote:SMbrew36 wrote:New to brewing I'd like to try a kit beer using dry malt extract and a hop tea. What would you recommend?
If you were to buy craft beer. What styles would you typically buy?
budwiser is what I'll buy, mostly because I'm not adventures because it's so expensive.
Not sure what to recommend a bud drinker starting out. Maybe an American Wheat to start.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:13 am
by jacinthebox
Cream ale is a bud like beer
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:16 am
by LeafMan66_67
jacinthebox wrote:Cream ale is a bud like beer
This ^^^^
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:58 am
by Bowserm
I would also suggest a Blonde Ale. A bit more flavour than a cream Ale, but still a light drinker.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:19 am
by the-mailman
The Festa Blonde Lager is a good one to start with too. It's very similar to the commercial beers like Keiths and Bud.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:08 pm
by MitchK
you probably don't have the gear to do a lager properly yet but the entire point of cream ale was that it was the ale brewer's response to consumer demand for lagers. American Wheat, a nice amber, or maybe even a belgian style witbier (which is a lighter wheat beer sometimes spiced) would be other easy drinking options for someone that isn't into the mega hop bomb IPAs and russian imperials.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:41 pm
by the-mailman
True, but I don't think the Festa kits expect you to do a proper lagering as the instructions are the same for ale or lager. Either way they turn out pretty tasty.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:28 pm
by MitchK
oh, when I did a festa kit I actually lagered it (continental pils) - in theory you could not, but you'd be fermenting with dry lager yeast at ambient. I don't know how great that would be.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm
by bandarker
I did the festa Pale Ale kit for a New Years party,dry hopped with 1oz centennial and 1 oz falconer so flight. It was great! Nice slightly estery pale ale, reminded me of Macaulan Cream. Paying an extra $20 per 5gallon batch for 5 hours less work and good beer seemed quite worth it.
I've heard the west coast ipa is good too.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:20 pm
by dnewf
I made a kolsch back in Dec 2015. Had my grain and hops and yeast from Dave at
https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I used the yweast 2565. One of my better brews yet. I brewed at roughly 15-16 c.Racked to carboy and cold crashed and added gelatin waited for bright tank for few days then kegged and force carbonated with stone. It was a crowd pleaser on New Year Eve drained the keg in 2 hrs.lol . I like light beers also so I dunno if there is a lme or dme recipes for this beer but if you can cold condition it for a while it like a lager beer which is a budlight etc. I went from canned kits to all grain right away and I am glad I did now. Alot or research and reading and mistakes by thats brewing learning by your mistakes..
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:48 pm
by SMbrew36
Thanks fellas
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 pm
by SMbrew36
jacinthebox wrote:Cream ale is a bud like beer
Cream ale is a lot like bud. I now brew all grain and wow its great beer. Lagers are my next adventure. Cheers!!!
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am
by spuds
Brew Canada Lager/1.2 kg light dry malt extract/ 300g dex. Ferment with Nottingham yeast if you can get it..Make a litle hop tea and "experiment". Boil can ing. malt ex, dex and 8 liters of water 20 min. Top up to 23 liters. Ferment at 15-18 deg.
Re: What's the best kit beer?
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:57 am
by Icedpyre
Good to see i wasn't going to be the only one to recommend the cream ale. I opened a bottle last night, that I'd made in december. Extremely satisfying.