Page 1 of 1

What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:39 pm
by Seanzo
So I just thought I'd pose the question - what varieties of hops does everyone use the most/or desire for their brewing?

I am thinking of small-scale hop production and am curious. Also, are 2oz vaccuum sealed packages the handiest for most of you? What would be a fair price for a package of organic, locally produced dried hops (not pelletized)?

Give me your thoughts :)

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:17 pm
by Andre
I often use Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo and East Kent Golding.

But I'm trying to introduce a new hop every few recipe. The Session IPA that I'm planing will have some Falconers Flight.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:40 pm
by jeffsmith
I use a lot of Columbus, Centennial, Mosaic, and Nelson Sauvin.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:25 pm
by MitchK
One thing to keep in mind is that you're probably safer to stick to aroma hop varieties where AA% isn't as critical unless you are going to pay to have them tested each season.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:47 pm
by jacinthebox
Citra mosaic cascade simcoe ....I buy and use them by the pound.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:09 pm
by joe_r_harvie
I use fuggles, EKG, challenger and cascade quite often. I've heard challenger produce a lot of hops. I find pellets are consistent and easy to store.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:19 am
by Hobbitfu
I use warrior a lot for bittering and citra, Amarillo, simcoe, Galaxy for flavour /aroma... (others for style choices)

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:33 am
by McGruff
German magnum for bittering, Hallertauer, Spalt, Saaz, Hallertauer Mittelfruh, Tettnanger. I am experimenting with different kinds of noble hops to see which I like best. I don't brew ipa's, but do buy them made locally the odd time.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:35 am
by sheppard107
EKG and Nugget, Amarillo and Cascade.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:12 pm
by mackay85
Mosaic, Citra, Summit, Cascade, Columbus and Amarillo

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:34 pm
by Stasis
I love the aroma that Citra has, and a little of it goes a long way. Definitely a favourite.

Re: What hop varieties do you like?

Posted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm
by jtmwhyte
I like me some Amarillo, Simcoe, Columbus, and Cascade for American Styles. Going to try Mosaic next